Propane Leaks Around Burner Control Valve - American Camper

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by James Stone, Sep 23, 2020.

1. James Stone United States

This is my first post to what looks like a great forum. I have an American Camper propane 2 burner stove (Model 1080 I believe) that my son and I used camping many (58) years ago. I recently re-discovered it in a forgotten box in the attic. Thought he might like it now, with a family of his own.

Unfortunately, it leaks propane badly around the shafts of the burner controls. On disassembly, each burner valve has a very small rubber O ring, which I think is just the valve shut off seat. Then there is what I would call a packing nut that should seal the valve up, but there is no place for an O ring, or any evidence of any packing. There is enough clearance between the valve shaft and the packing nut that as soon as the burner valve is opened gas escapes around the shaft.

My first thought is that perhaps some type of packing material is placed in the cavity between the packing nut and the valve control and when tightened fills around the shaft. That is only speculation on my part – so any help would be greatly appreciated on how to seal around the valve shafts to make this stove functional and safe. Thanks very much.

DSCN2152.JPG DSCN2149a.jpg

2. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

The o ring is the seal

3. James Stone United States

Thanks. So should the o ring be placed up by the threads? When I took it apart the o rings were off the shaft by the needle seat. I assume they slipped off the valve shaft at some point with age?

4. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi and welcome
    Can we have a clear picture from inside the tube bolt side where all those things goes. Does it leaks from bolt burner or valve?

5. James Stone United States

JP - Attaching a couple of more pictures. Looking down inside the tube bolt side there is about 10 mm of thread, then a smooth bore, then a slight lip, and then the taper to the valve seat. As suggested by geeves, it appears that the o rings are the seal. They should sit just below the thread area and on the valve just above the taper (as shown in a picture), but seem to eventually work their way off toward the valve seat area. Thus the leaks are right around the valve shafts, between the shaft and the nut. When that happens, the flame ignites around the valve stem and control knob (not good). I see no other way to pack the valves, so it appears I need to find some new o rings that are around 1.8-2.0 mm id, 6.0 to 6.2 mm od, 1.8 mm approx cs. For sentimental reasons would like to see this little stove work again safely. Appreciate any/all thoughts and especially the very quick replies from this group. Thanks - JS DSCN2158.JPG DSCN2163.JPG DSCN2162a.jpg

6. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Maybe an o'ring is missing.check that out to give ideas.

7. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Maybe something is missing between the nut and there. (Narrow)
    1600904748363699946108~3.jpg
    ????????