pulled a pump today

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by nagant, Jul 12, 2009.

1. nagant

well i finaly got my bernsomatic 4000 torch (great tip Doug) and made a puller out of a deep well socket and a bolt along with the pump cap off the stove in question. a optimus no.5 that looks like somebody used it for a cymbal. any way i got it out without desoldering the legs but i got a tiny bead of melted solder from the base. good news is i saved the nrv which had a cork pip. the pip holder has a tiny pin that comes off the center of the back end (spring side), about the size of a pricker wire. i dont know if i will get this back together but its good practice and i can use or trade the parts if i don't. pics comming tomorrow.

2. nagant

here is the tool i cobbed up. 1247377825-000_0122_opt.jpg here are the parts 1247378340-000_0123_opt.jpg hard to seebut there is a little peg on the back of the pip bucket 1247378523-000_0119_opt.jpg longer bolt will be found! 1247378654-000_0120_opt.jpg panavise and here is my victom :roll: 1247378851-000_0117_opt.jpg cymbal shot and the letters are polished off 1247378978-000_0121_opt.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Nice one Nagant! I like the idea of the "tube-puller", no need to make a special tool! ;) What does your torch look like? I have been thinking of asking this a while ago, what do our experts use? I am not to happy with mine and would like some good hints re what to buy. Might better put the question in a new topic...

Regards,

Wim

4. exeter_yak

Nice work Nagant ! You will need to practice more with the damp rag techniques.

The extra material on the back of your NRV seal disk bucket is the result of the cutting tool being a bit too low when the part was turned. In a screw machine shop it is known as a cutoff burr or a teet.

Better show Wim the torch setup in a photo. Isn't it nice to just pull the trigger and have flame? It is so much nicer than smelling your own hair burning after leaning into a running torch flame.

Keep up the good work.

ATB,
    Doug

5. nagant

thanks Doug and Wim here's the torch 1247411111-000_0124_opt.jpg and closer with the pump tube 1247411206-000_0125_opt.jpg this torch seems twice as fast as my old one! and i still managed to smoke a little forearm hair :) the stove has been thru the mill, badly resoldered legs with the top ends rusted away or burnt down to a point. when i get the parts clean i need to strap the stove down so i can better control things! also no seal in the nrv.

Attached Files:

6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Thanks for the photo's! Should have read this topic first, could have saved me some typing :lol: . I'll pay a visit to my local hardware store and see what they have, I very much like the piezo ignition, very handy, and it saves gas too!!! O:)

Regards,

Wim

7. nagant

hey while your shoping pick up some 1/4 threaded rod with nut and washers. i got the handle out of a box of old meat gringer parts. not sure if 1/4 fits a good cap but the hole in my stove cap was oversized from a gorilla running the pump :p :roll: 1247428689-000_0127_opt.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I have one of those caps too! The hole has a very nice egg-shape :lol:

Regards,

Wim

9. nagant

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Yes, very good topic! (but I hope I never need to do this :oops: ) I need to get the NRV out of some of my stoves, I hope it'll work with tool & muscle force! :lol:

Regards,

Wim

11. nagant

1248234390-000_0128_opt.jpg

well after soldering it in and out a couple times i turned the old pip around backwards and used Fliwer's (hope i got your handle right!) tip for making nrv washers out of a ring of solder. both tricks came through :lol: here's the flame shot

1248235284-000_0129_opt.jpg

no pump cap as i used it for my pump tool. and this is a over polished optimus no. 5 with a primus burner :oops: really burned green for awhile! and you can see where the laquer is smoked around the pump tube. i'm sold on this method now but i still sent my radius #43 tank to Doug (thanks again). this group is the best! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Attached Files:

12. exeter_yak

Looks good Nagant. The laquer loss is unfortunate but you can take it down to brass with acetone or even Heet type gasoline antifreeze (methanol) works if you choose to clean it up.

Green flames are part of the romance of stoves I guess. Soon it will be a lovely blue.

Hey, your threaded rod pump tube puller further up the thread looks good !

Wim, try mounting your NRV tool in a solid bench vise with some flattened copper tube to protect the tool from the teeth of the vise jaws, -or- clamp a piece of wood over the T-handle end of the NRV tool onto the bench with the socket end sticking out. Push the tank onto the clamped down tool firmly until you feel it is squared up and seated on the NRV head, then rotate the tank maintaining the seating force and alignment between the tool and the NRV head. This is the most effective way to get maximum torque and minimum damage. Use a penetrating oil first, some inside the pump tube and see if you can dribble some on the tube on the inside of the tank (through the filler neck) to flow down the pump tube to the NRV threads. Wait a while then try the full torque method.

ATB,
    Doug

13. nagant

the flame was solid green for 3 min or so. i will try the acetone, even the burner and legs are laquered. next up is a bat stove with a loose air screw tube.

14. Petromax828

I have also removed a couple of pumps, both on stoves and lamps, and even if I thought that it would be very difficult and I was a bit afraid at first, I noticed that it isn't that difficult at all. My first project was a Radius 119 lantern, that I didn't manage to get the pumpvalve out from. No matter how I tried, the tool wouldnt stay on the valve. Finally I managed to press the tube too hard and the result was that it also pressed in the fueltank a bit so there was no return. I desoldered the pumptube, took it out, desoldered the inner end and removed the valve, then soldered end back and put in a new valve and resoldered the pumptube. After the standard water bucket test everything seemed to be ok so I tested the lamp and it worked great. Done it on 2 or 3 stoves also after this, and the result has been great...

15. Takeshi

Hi!
    When I did acid cleaning at burner head,it cause too.
    But I like the green one,bacause it reminds me aurora curtains :lol: :lol:

regards TS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015