Punker Double Burner

Discussion in 'Punker' started by Christer Carlsson, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Yet another double burner from Punker. This one has another support of the tank compared to the others displayed in here (They all differ in some details).
    The preheating cups also separates themself from the other Punkers by not having the little lip protruding at the lower front of the stove. It still has the automatic measuring cup in the tank lid for the preheting fuel, but the absence of those little lips makes it a tad bit harder to fill the preheating cups with the alcohol.
    Otherwise the burners and vaporizers are built in the same way as any Punker.

1250883778-punker2.jpg 1250883793-vapor.jpg 1250883785-vapo.jpg 1250885350-burner.jpg punk.jpg

What I try to show with the last pictures is how Punker solved the continously vaporizing of the alcohol.
    Many self pressured alcohol stoves just let the vaporiser pass right through the flame in order to heat up the liquid fuel.
    Punker has a primary vaporizer, or preheater device, positioned to the side of the burner. The burner is practically only a sphere of thin brass, surrounded by the actual vaporiser. At the bottom is a larger hole where the jet is spraying the alcohol gas to be mixed with air, and at the top there is the regular ring of holes. Nothing strange there. There is also one single hole in the lower part of the sphere which directs a nice, blue tongue of fire directly towards the primary vaporiser/preheater tube. That's what you hopefully can get an idea of in the last picture. You can also see the different preheating cup in the second last picture.

2. BernieDawg Banned

Very nice pictures of some excellent blue flame, Christer. :clap:

I love these Punkers and have a growing herd of them, including a very tatty single burner cousin to your lovely two-burner in the same ivory paint.

Sadly, I've not been able to find much about the company itself or its history. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for sharing your stove.

Cheers,
    Gary

3. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

I've got two Punker marine stoves, one single burner stainless which is a very nice, useable stove.

The other is a two burner galvanized unit, unfortunately in such poor condition it's only good as a decorative piece a la "Found Artifact" sculpture. One burner sort of works, after a fashion, the other is a disaster.

I would very much like to have a new decal to put on my functioning Punker.

Gerry

4. Christer Carlsson

Thanks guys.

I really like these stoves too. Surprisingly good output for a gravity fed alcoholburner in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately I don't know much either. The carbide lantern Punker made is identical with the one Primus made, so perhaps some connections there?
    It even says A/B B.A. Hjorth at the little bottom stand on the only table lamp I got from Punker. But since the lamps are identical, it's also possible that someone swapped parts between Punker and Primus at some time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co Subscriber

Impressed how well your stoves are burning. My punkers doesn't burn that well, have a feeling there is not enough gravity/pressure on the fuel, I need to tilt the stove in order to get that good flame. Perhaps need to clean the piping a little better?
    Best Regards
    Joakim

6. Christer Carlsson

Thanks Joakim. I was actually a bit surprised that this one burned so well immediately after the fettle I had to do. I started to work with this stove yesterday, and this was the first fire up in the evening.
    One of the fuel feed pipes from the tank to the preheter tube was loose, so I had to solder it back in place. But when loose, I also got the opportunity to see how clogged it was. The inside was reduced to a hole of perhaps only a quarter of the original diameter!
    The brass brushes that are inserted into the preheater tubes were in pretty bad states, and were also stuck real hard inside the tubes. It looked like regular rust in there! I think it came from the cores of the brushes since they appear to have been made out of steel.
    So when all was fixed, I only had about half the length of each brush remaining, but it worked nevertheless.
    Luckily both burners were like new on my stove. Perhaps they are what's causing your problem? Or the jet could simply be worn so that the little increase of pressure you get there when tilting the stove compensates for the largened hole by the slightly higher gas flow (the speed of gas directly affects the amount of air that will be drawn in with the fuel).
    Silly question, but do you still have the brushes? They could have been removed.

7. Christer Carlsson

I also added the patent for this burner type in the patent section.
    Looks like the first application came in 1936.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. hydro451

Gorgeous stove and flames :clap: , these Punkers are good meths stoves and your domestic model is so nice looking - love to get one, but the domestic use models seem far more scarce than the galley stoves

Tom

9. lonesome_sailor

I just bought a 2 burner stove for my boat in stainless. do these stoves have prickers like the opti's or is it just a normal valve to control the flow of fuel, and is it servicable

10. Christer Carlsson

Hi Sailor!

They don't have any pricker, and the knob only controls the valve (which is for both shut off and adjustment of the flame).
    They are very serviceable, but I guess spare parts can be hard to get.

11. lonesome_sailor

one of my burners on the stove surges what could be the cause of this. I cleaned out the pre-heat tubes with the brushes in them. I do not have brushes in there now because they were corroded beyond use. I have found some brass condenser tube brushes coming that should replace them next week.

also there is a small nob just below the jet on the burner, is this any sort of adjustment. are there any hints to getting the jet lose for cleaning with out breaking or twisting anything.