1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pura Stove (1940s)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Sedgman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Sedgman

Hello
    I am posting this here because I am uncertain of the country of origin, though I believe it to be Australian. I presume the moderators will move it later as responses dictate.

This is a Pura brand single burner stove with an unusual lever. I suspect the stove is Australian, because of the reference to Laurel (a kerosene brand in early Australia; but it may also have been overseas, I don’t know.) The stove is 214mm high and has a diameter of 200mm. The stove is similar in concept to the more common Australian ‘Lane’s Blue Thermil’ stove. There was also a double burner version of this stove on offer and advertisements for both are between 1945 and 1946.

1421236653-Pura1.jpg

1421236670-Pura2.jpg 1421236687-Pura3.jpg

Iain Sedgman

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Sedgman

Following some further research, the stove is Australian and on Facebook at Link a gentleman name Mal Corry has included some photos of the single burner stove, clearly showing the original decal intact with the words Made in Australia.

The company which made them may well be Pura Metal Industries based in Melbourne but I am yet to find conclusive evidence.

The National Library of Australia has images of the single burner stove in its 'Trove' archive here. Link. .

Advertising. (1944, February 10). Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), p. 1. Retrieved January 12, 2015, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article92712344

The Double burner kitchen type stove is shown in an advertisement also in Trove as part of the National Library of Australia collection. The image can be viewed here. Link.

The citation for this page is:
    Advertising. (1945, April 5). Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), p. 1. Retrieved January 12, 2015, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article92809634

There does not seem to be a lot of information about on these stoves and as they have a steel fount and rust easily there may not be many left if they were only available for a few years. I originally bought mine thinking it was a variation of the Lane's Blue Thermil stoves that were much more common.

Iain Sedgman

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Good work, Ian.

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Great research Iain, well done. :D