Purchasing a stove on ebay from Europeans

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by olive, Apr 13, 2019.

1. olive

Have many here bought on ebay from sellers in Western Europe and were taxed for import fees? Seems like some of the best stoves are from Sweden and Norway on ebay. Does the US customs/Homeland security charge US citizens fees/taxes if they buy a stove on ebay from an overseas seller? Import Tax or VAT etc? If so, at what rate for say a $250-$300 stove? Do you just pay the fees to the Post Office when you pick up the stove, if so? Thank you.

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

I've purchased numerous used stoves from France, Sweden, Germany, and the United Kingdom using eBay and Tradera. I've never had to pay and Import Tax or Value Added Tax or any other kind of tax. The boxes just arrive in the mail like a box of cookies from grandma.

Ben

3. HercL4D2

Yes because the seller normally takes care of those taxes and fees. Those should be included in the price of the stove. So when the seller does not pay the customs import taxes and fees you get a notice from the postal carrier you are requested to pay what ever $$ it is Before you get delivery.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@olive ,

@z1ulike , Same with me. I've bought numerous stoves from Europe, the UK, and the Orient, and never had to pay any fees, other than shipping. Going INTO some of those places will charge those to whom you are sending, a VAT Tax, which is sometimes quite high!! I'm not sure where @HercL4D2 lives, but I've NEVER been contacted, nor asked by the US Gov't, to may any taxes of fees. In our business, we also order raw materials from over seas, and same thing, NO FEES, whatsoever, except for shipping. FWIW.

Doc

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

My experience has been the same as Ben's and Doc's. Just paid the price + shipping and got the items in the mail.

6. nmp

nmp United Kingdom Subscriber

I have had to pay duty on a mica lantern globe from Fred Kuntz in the USA and it made it a very expensive buy!
    I know this is going in the opposite direction.
    I’ve never sent stuff to the US but would imagine a customs form might have to be filled in?
    Nick

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, @nmp , Nick,

A custom's form might have to be filled out by you, when you send the stove, but we do not have to fill one out when we receive it, FYI. However, if WE sent a box overseas, we do have to fill out a US Custom's form, though we are not charged anything to do so. Interesting, eh?!

Doc