Pyro Facit No. 100

Discussion in 'AB Pyro' started by optipri, Dec 31, 2017.

1. optipri

optipri Subscriber

This stove was recently shown in this post on CPL. A few weeks later it was listed on a Swedish net auction and I went for it.

This model must be a sequel of the early Pyro stove which turned out not to be the most effective one.
    From what I have found out it uses a lipstick burner, mentioned in the description in document below from 1915, downloaded from the Swedish Royal Library. But I have a another one in Swedish, unfortunately in low res, where both roarer and silent burners are offered. So maybe different versions were available.

Question is if this is the first #100 model that was copied by all manufacturers later?
    The main difference from later models is that the air release screw is fitted into the tank, not the filler hole tube.

As the burner was missing, and I have no original for spare, I had to fit a Primus burner. The image also shows a pan support so that is another challenge to find.

Bo

PIC.JPG

DSC_0015_7.JPG DSC_0011_41.JPG DSC_0012_26.JPG DSC_0013_18.JPG DSC_0018.JPG Pyro.jpg

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

:-s - OK so I know Pyro/Facit cut their own throats with some ridiculously overblown hype and exaggerated claims regarding the original Pyro stove. I think this has coloured the way people have looked on the old Pyros ever since; but if you take the old stove for what it actually is it was not a bad stove at all. I have 1/2 dozen of them and find them to be the ideal 'light and leave' stove for garage use - no watching for the spirit cup burning out, pumping etc - just keep an odd glance out over to the kettle for when it boils:D And with their heavy weight 'bomb-proof' construction they also provide a super solid base for a stove top oven and more than enough heat out put to warm up meat pies, pasties and other goodies for the lunch break:lol:

All that said this new Pyro Facit No.100 of yours looks to be another equally fine stove from a sadly under-rated maker; an excellent find:thumbup: Can't wait to see the flame shots :whistle:

@optipri

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Maybe I was wrong about the function. I only have one and have never run it. And you have half a dozen, wow. I thought they were more rare than that. I based my statements on an investigation that was ordered by C.R. Nyberg, the inventor of Svea stoves. He and the owner of Pyro, P.U.Bergstrom, were bitter competitors. Bergstrom was very aggressive in his marketing an said that Pyro was the best stove in the world and had many benefits compared to the traditional ones.

The person that compared the stove, an impartial person, found out that most of what was told about the Pyro was nonsense, it was not that good, only a way to sell things to unsuspecting housewives. Just like the way it is today with all phone sellers.

I don't know how the Pyro story ended, in another post someone thought the company was incorporated with Optimus but I am a bit doubtful to that. I can't find any evidence. So any information about this company would be interesting.

Concerning my Facit, I think I had better fit a lipstick burner to it as that probably was they way it was equipped in original.

Bo

4. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Bo,

Totally agree, as I said, Bergstrom's "overblown hype and exaggerated claims" left him wide open to Nyberg's vicious hatch-job of a reply. And as you say they were bitter competitors indeed!

The issue about the air release screw set up is interesting too, in that as far as I can see Primus also used that same arrangement upto the very early 1920s for their '100' model too.

But as for your other question:
    If I was to put a bet on it I would go for Primus having been first. The earliest Primus catalogue we seem to have showing a model '100' with lipstick burner is dated 1903. On the other hand we do not currently have access to any equivalent advertising material from Pyro/Facit to show precisely when their '100' stove was first produced ...

Great stuff,
    Ian:thumbup:

@optipri