Quick Meal Stove number 23 Three burner stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by candle power, May 9, 2019.

1. candle power

quick meal stove 2.jpg
    Wikipedia Magic Chef says div American Stove Co on stove label dates this from 1901 to 1929. It is 35 inches long, about 19 inches wide and a little more than 9 inches high. It's fuel tank holds a little more than one gallon. The fuel tank is pressured by an external hand pump. Sorry the fuel tank is stopped up so unable to show it working right now. It does not weigh too much so can move it around pretty easily. Below the center fuel control knob is a small knob that controls an air dampner.
    quick stove top.jpg
    The antique dealer practically forced me to buy it as he only charged $25 for it which is pretty inexpensive. No other photo of another one was seen on the web when I did a search for it.
    burner.jpg serial number.jpg
    Thank you for looking,

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber SotM Winner

That's a great acquisition especially given the $25 price tag. I've got a Vesuvius stove also made by Quick Meal Stove Co. They're really classy American made stoves. I hope you get it running.

1301016232-IMG_7187.JPG

Ben

3. candle power

That is a pretty cool stove you have there, beautiful actually.

I've seen a lot of big kitchen stoves made by the Quick Meal Stove Company but nothing small like yours while doing a web search for the quick meals. I'd be proud to have one of those.

Magicchefmansion.com mentions that the Quick Meal Stove Company was at one time the largest stove manufacturer in the United States with the St. Louis building covering 600,000 square feet and employing over 2,000 people.

Strange so many stoves must of been created in that time and yours and mine seem to be pretty rare. We are most fortunate. Thank you Ben for adding your stove to this posting.

4. Afterburner

Nice old stove! :thumbup:

Maybe name 'Quick Meal Stove' comes from reason that it was quick to make meal with that stove compared to wood burning stove that needed some time to light and warm up?

5. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

Only 25$! :shock:

6. candle power

Went to my favorite antique dealer, (I had bought a very inexpensive svea number 11 from him earlier also posted here.)
    He must feel very sorry for me or I look very poor as he always prices stuff to me very cheaply.

Wife went along, she says she was behind me around the building less than 1 minute away and she wonders how I had found the dealer, agreed to price, and paid for stove before she found me. With hands on her hips, she says, "You have at least 9 other stoves not counting two big ones (coleman HGP gas plants), NO MORE STOVES - EVER" with emphasis on the word EVER. I try to play dumb and saying surely not so many stoves, (what a memory she has, and I had just married her for her looks). And now you know the rest of the story. She as since settled down in the last two weeks after my search of the web shows this to be a very rare find (no other one seen on web).

This one caught my eye with needing a hand pressure pump.

7. candle power

Dealer also is from a very very small town and he seems not to care to look up anything on web for its value, I enjoy talking with him,

8. z1ulike

@candle power You should sell your Quick Meal stove to me for $250. A ten fold profit should get you some spousal respect.

Ben

9. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Good looking stove. :)

10. candle power

I will indeed show my wife your magnificent offer. I know you REALLY enjoy collecting Quick Meal Stoves as I've noticed your gravity kerosene stove. Do you have any others or any printed documentation with yours? That Vesuvius is so remarkable.

11. candle power

Got it running, generator makes a cool noise when it kicks in and runs. Plenty of heat produced, no smokey flame. This will run for a long time without putting more air in the fuel tank. Easily adjustable flame level. Pictured with open full values for dramatic effect.

quick meal #23 lit.jpg

12. z1ulike

That's a thing of beauty. You've got a real winner there.

Ben

13. candle power

Thank you, it's a surprise blessing from God, never seen an old portable stove in this area. Plan on cooking on it alot. Am learning to cook, do a decent scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon every Sunday morning using three cast iron skillets.

14. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hi,
    Congrats I am as impressed as you and all of the above
    but
    Re "Plan on cooking on it a lot" and that it seems it is up and running fairly quickly (no repair discussion).
    There has been no mention of fuel you're using.
    I guess I am assuming you're somewhere in the US and (safer) kerosene may not have come to mind for fuel?
    IF we determine decade or approx. year it was made?
    It looks to be a "Gasoline Pressure Appliance" however the GPA gasoline (then) and a variety of other fuels burned in stoves & heaters (then), those fuels differ from what is available today.
    If you have 3/4 gallon of Coleman Fuel pressurized in your old steel tank, please...
    THINK SAFETY and how to operate safely (or dramatic effect could be 1 leak away from traumatic).
    At very least keep extinguisher at the ready and do not operate in enclosed space or with anything flammable nearby.

Stove in OP we view as table top but FYI many with that same setup have option to put on it's own base (4 legs) with shelf below. Some, w/same option add back splash and upper shelf as well, just FYI [it was "stored" when you bought it. It's possible it had 4 legs when new, it would store and ship w/ it's legs removed].
    I say this in-part as you have not found another example like it, do not look past the 3 burner models with legs.
    thx omc
    @candle power @z1ulike fuels / fire-safe operations

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  15. candle power

Thank you for your response. I would agree that at one time it had 4 legs and a backsplash.

16. candle power

OMC, thank you for your response. I would agree that at one time it had 4 legs and a backsplash. On ebay there are advertising examples stating quick meal stoves could be a gas stove.

I do not know the difference between safely using gasoline vs. CF coleman fuel with it. I am comfortable using CF and would be scared to death of using gasoline as a stray gas fume could easily explode I would assume.

Please excuse my exuberance, any cooking I would do would be outside having learned earlier how dangerous it is to work on flameable lanterns inside the house.

Enclosed are a few more details of the stove.
    The fuel tank is very sturdy; it also has the smallest diameter fuel tube. The tube goes straight down to the bottom and was blocked up. I used a braided guitar string for strength, unbraided the end of it slightly, bent it and used it as a miniature shovel to get the hard tar like substance out of the tube. This stove is unique its construction, there is no way to replace the fuel tube.

The copper fuel line does not use modern parts. Modern brass parts uses a different angle of grooves. This stove uses a finer angle of grooves. This same brass part directly connects to the generator housing. Could not replace it easily as modern parts would not connect to older parts.

The generator goes into a U shaped air tube which brings the fuel and air mixture into the main burner. The top of the main burner has a flat baffle plate which I imagine was put there to allow more fuel to go to the outer burners.
    main burner bottom.jpg main burner baffle plate.jpg

The main and side burners had many dauber wasp nests that practically blocked it up. Took some sort of plumbers shaped like a bottle cleaner to clean the lines out. The stove now runs a lot quieter and with more of a blue flame. The side burner has a smaller metal washer that is next the the larger brass? washer that seals to gas line.

side burner closing mechanism.jpg

3burnersworking.jpg

17. z1ulike

Beautiful flame pattern. It's wonderful that you're preserving such a great piece of history. That fibrous material might be asbestos. I'd use a dust mask when it's exposed.

Ben