Quickstarter problem Optimus 55/155 generation 1

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Oskar Olsson, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Oskar Olsson Sweden

Hello! Have problems with my quickstarter jets on my newly bought Optimus 55/155. In the beginning it comes iquid kerosene and they light. But after a few seconds they die and just exhaust kerosenegas and air. I have pressure and 2/3 full tank. Thankful for help 20200712_175400.jpg 20200712_182258.jpg

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. Oskar Olsson Sweden

Thanks for good instruction. But my stove is the generation 1, which have other quickstarter from this instruction

4. kerophile

5. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

@Oskar Olsson

I had never seen this quick starters before! I think it's dificult to get a perfect mix, sprayed kero + air, in only 15mm... Note the quickstarters pipes has two channels: One for kero (inner) and other for air (outer). I understand that any obstruction alters the ratio of air and kerosene in the quik starters.

Then I suggest you check both quick starters pipes. All the channels should be completely clean.

About quick lighters on Optimus 155

6. kerophile

Hi @Oskar Olsson you might consider buying two blanking plugs which would allow you to remove the quicklighters and then use wicks and methylated spirits for priming the burners.
    My Op.155 was manufactured as the option without quicklighters and operates well.

Optimus No. 155 Cooker *

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. Austin Roper

Austin Roper Australia Subscriber

Hi there @Oskar Olsson ,
    This is how I blanked off the quick lighter tubes.
    I visited our friendly Nuts & Bolt shop, bought two short bolts of the same thread, shortened them sufficiently, placed viton 8mm "O" rings on them as washers and voila!
    I persevered with the quicklighters, however after much cleaning and tweaking, gave up on them. I now start the burners by putting a dash of methylated spirits into the stainles bowl that surrounds the burners, I light it and wait until the metho looks like it is boiling. At that point, the burners are almost ready to ignite.
    It is a simple method and fuss free. I like it.

Kind regards

@Austin Roper

2020-07-09 16.43.38.jpg 2020-07-09 14.44.00.jpg

8. Lennart F Sweden

It is very likely that this Quickstarter is like the quite similar on blowlamps and lanterns with an O-ring(small, Imperial/US sized) between air and fuel inlets inside the valve/jet compound - it is threaded together quite similar to the later ones.
    Leaking O-ring makes that sort of symptom.

9. Oskar Olsson Sweden

Thank you for all good ideas!
    As i dont have a boat for my optimus and don´t have time for repairing it I think I will sell it to someone else. This person can reapair the quicklighters or put plugs in, and then enjoy the stove.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2020
  10. Sea Mither United Kingdom

Depends what you are doing with your stove, if your using it to cook I'd forget using the quicklighters and just preheat with meths in the bowls. If you want a show cooker then you will need to strip down and blow the jets with air. They are extemely fine and you can't see them. The other issue is there is a very fine gauze I'm the uptake lines inside the fuel tank and these could be blocked. If you decided to go down this route remember it I'd a pipe inside a pipe on carrying air and one parraffin. The main issue is if you take it apart you will probably find the olives have work hardened and may not reseal and you'll end up having to file them off to put new ones on. I speak from hard earned experiance.
    There are some really useful diagrams plans of the stove on this site. Best of luck which ever way you decide to go.

11. Sea Mither United Kingdom

Hi, what wicks do you use. I just pour meths into the bowls beneath the burners and light but It's not what I'd class a controlled flame and I think a wick like I use to preheat the tilley lamp would be good.

12. kerophile