Radius 17. Late 1930s/Early 1940s. Transition stove.

Discussion in 'Radius No:17' started by kerophile, Mar 8, 2016.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I have acquired several Radius No.17 stoves over the years for several reasons:

1. Understanding more about the history behind the formation of Radius, and its later development.

2. They produced exceptionally good stoves and lanterns, and were innovative.

3. Their products had some of the best markings and graphics of any Manufacturer.

My most recent acquisition is a stove made in the very late 1930s/early 1940s and is particulary interesting as it is a "Transition" stove bearing markings of both "Radius" and the later "Radius Ltd."

This is the stove as I received it:

Radius 17-6.JPG

The fettling is covered in this thread:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/radius-no-17-recent-fettle.32224/

Here are some additional photos taken after fettling and polishing:

Polished-R17-31.jpg Polished-R17-33.jpg Polished-R17-22.jpg Polished-R17-29.jpg Polished-R17-25.jpg Polished-R17-26.jpg Polished-R17-28.jpg Polished-R17-23.jpg Polished-R17-24.jpg Polished-R17-11a.jpg Polished-R17-18.jpg Polished-R17-19.jpg Polished-R17-20.jpg Polished-R17-21.jpg Polished-R17-12.jpg Polished-R17-13.jpg Polished-R17-14.jpg Polished-R17-2.jpg
    Polished-R17-35.jpg Polished-R17-36.jpg Polished-R17-37.jpg

You can see the great graphics on this stove.

The tank has the large Radius "Shooting Star" trade mark, prominently displayed on the tank top, directly above the pump.

There are no fewer than 11 (or 12) languages displayed in the RADIUS guarantee statement, which occupies a major part of the top of the tank

Studying the other stove markings;

We can see that the filler cap is marked RADIUS, whereas the pump cap has RADIUS LTD.

The top of the Burner is marked RADIUS SWEDEN in English, and also has an Arabic inscriotion.

The flame ring is marked RADIUS and SWEDEN

The pan-ring has RADIUS and SWEDEN.

HOWEVER,
    turn the tank over and on the base we have:
    RADIUS Ltd. and MADE IN SWEDEN, which is normally accepted as a later marking than the plain "RADIUS"

Radius was founded by Strikers leaving Primus in 1913 and the Brand finally disappeared in 1963 when Optimus took over the company. So Radius operated for a total of 50 years.

Nils Stevenson, in his research on Radius lamps, has concluded that Radius became a Limited Co. (Ltd.), and Ltd. was added to the name in 1939 or later.

Stejar, in his research on "Six variants of the Radius 21" states "that it is safe to conclude that the first Radius 21 marked "Ltd." appeared in the very late 1930s or early 1940s

Ross, in Feb 2012, when commenting on Stejar's post said:
    "Radius went through a big expansion in the 1930's with them setting up separate companies around the world including a Ltd company in the UK which was around by 1936, possibly earlier, with both UK & Swedish directors. Maybe this expansion prompted the use of the more recognised Ltd over AB".

I think that my Radius No.17 stove is interesting as it appears to straddle the transition from RADIUS to RADIUS Ltd. The top of the tank has the markings I would expect of an earlier Radius 17.
    However, turn the tank over and we have a tank base marked Radius Ltd., a later marking.

It is also interesting to see the pump cap has a later Radius Ltd. marking.

I have examined the photos of the other Radius 17 stoves featured in the Reference Gallery and was delighted to find another "Transition" stove. However, this one, owned by "danborrego", is effectively the reverse of mine, with the top of the tank having the later "RADIUS Ltd." markings, while the base has the earlier RADIUS AB designation:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/radius-no-17.15858/

Aren't stoves fascinating?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

They certainly are fascinating, George.

You have skillfully drawn together previous research and added your own observations to the knowledge base.
    It is exactly what CCS needs.

3. Northern Light

Interesting example with an unusual combination of details. 1939 is highly likely if all parts are original.

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Northern Light , thank you for your comment. Since some of the dating features are on the upper and lower sections of the tank, I believe we can be sure that the provenance of these transition stoves is good.
    Once joined at an early stage of manufacture, these two halves stay together for life, and any attempt at separating and remaking the tank would surely be identified, if it were even possible.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2018