Radius 17

Discussion in 'Radius No:17' started by ChrisH, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ChrisH

I bought this from a guy on ebay a few days ago, for £12.50p. It was quite dirty and tarnished when it arrived but it didn't take mush fettling at all. A good rub with 1200 wet and dry, then a polish up with duraglit and it was shining like new. I made a new filler cap washer and also one for the blanking cap. The pump seemed a bit hitty missy so I replaced the cup washer too. When I removed the nipple to check it was clean, I noticed that a .32 pricker was a loose fit so I gently squeezed the nipple in a vice so that the pricker was a snug fit.
    I flushed out the tank with fresh paraffin and got some bits of crud out but not a lot. I refilled the tank; filled the spirit cup and set it alight.
    When the meths had just about burned out I closed the air release screw and gave the pump one stroke. It roared into life immediately. It only took four more strokes of the pump and it was roaring fiercely and making a beautiful sound. The flame was a perfect blue and evenly spread. Within a minute the flame spreader ring was glowing orange. I don't know if it supposed to run with a .32 nipple but I'm not changing it for another size because the stove runs fantastic as it is. I can see no sign of any repairs or fresh soldering so it is in it's original condition except for my polishing.

I'm new to fettling but I have several Primus's in my collection or should that be Primae? along with a Parasene, a Monitor, a Burmos and an RM. My Primus No 10 was my favourite but now I have a new favourite. The quality of this Radius is superb, the engraving is excellent and I just love the fact that the tank blanking cap screws onto the end of the pump knob.

Can anyone give me any advice as to the age of this stove please as I have no idea how to date them. I have included some photos to help.
    Thanks.
    1335537028-SDC12414_-_Copy.JPG 1335537069-SDC12420_-_Copy.JPG 1335537091-SDC12427_-_Copy.JPG 1335537109-SDC12433_-_Copy.JPG 1335537147-SDC12419_-_Copy.JPG 1335537172-SDC12436_-_Copy.JPG 1335537196-SDC12423_-_Copy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Looks like the stove's credentials are engraved in several different languages, though a bit out of shot. That would make it of 1930's vintage, though it couldn't be dated with any precision.

Powerful flame, but your 1st photo still suggests it's running rich, with some yellow/orange flames in there. A replacement jet wouldn't degrade the performance, it'd just clean up the flame.

Squeezing the jet nipple in a vice makes the exit hole oval, so the jet pricker becomes a tight fit across the shorter axis, but the jet orifice has the same surface area as before. Squeezing it more, maybe at 90% to the first crushing maneouvre, doesn't necessarily reduce the exit hole area any better but by then you're well on the way to mangling the jet and making it difficult to remove and prone to snapping off, leaving a threaded stub in the burner, which of course is even harder to get out, and leaving you wishing you'd just chucked out the worn jet in the first place.

Remember that in a roarer burner, removing and replacing a jet is always that bit more tricky because you've to use a jointed removal tool to get access. Using a jet nipple that's even slightly distorted/mangled is going to make it harder still to remove when the time comes that you need to.

John

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi ChrisH. Nicely prepared stove. I reckon it deserves a new jet, particularly since you bought it for such a low price...

These Radius stoves are real quality but I find dating them a real challenge, since Radius appears to have developed a "retro" theme later in life and re-introduced earlier graphics. I believe that Radius operated from 1913 to 1963 or thereabouts.

I used to believe that the Radius "shooting star" logo started large, then reduced in size, and finally disappeared as years went on. I no longer believe this and it seems that the logo reappeared in 1950s and 60s stoves:

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/210539

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. ChrisH

Thanks for the advice John and George; I have been out to the shed and fitted a brand new jet. It does just the same; when first lit there are small yellow tips to the flame, but as the stove gets up to full operating temperature, after a couple of minutes, the flame is completely blue.
    I think I'll leave it as it is right now; I don't want to upset it too much.
    "If it ain't broke: don't fix it". Lol.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Fair enough.

Great set of photos by the way!

John

6. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Chriss congratulations on a fantastic score what a bargain,you have done a great job on the Radius17 a realy superb quality stove the lettering and logo on the tank is brilliant,i agree with John's advice about sqeezing the nipple in a vice to reduce the oraffice will make the hole oval shaped for only a couple of pound a new nipple would be best.
    I must admit i was surprised you used 1200 grit wet and dry to remove the tarnish i would of tgought even though that is a very fine grade i thought it would be to harsh for a stove tank and the engraving but then there is no damage or scratches i can see,i on a heavey dirty/tarnished stove have used ultra fine steel wool the type french polishers use to cut back polish and to remove a heavey shine,i use it in a gentle motion and keeping it in one direction and i have never damaged or harmed a stove in any way so the engraving is as crisp as before polishing the stove,another good medium to use is one of those old green kitchen scourers that has become realy worn so it is not agressive

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Chris, I can't see from the photos but is your stove marked up as made by Radius Ltd.?
    If it is it has to be post 1938, as that is when I believe they started to use the Ltd. designation.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.