Radius 42

Discussion in 'Radius No:42' started by redspeedster, Oct 19, 2009.

1. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

Hi
    I think the radius 42 is just so gorgeous.
    This isn't the best example but it's mine.
    1255984501-DSCF0206_resize.JPG 1255984528-DSCF0208_resize.JPG 1255984554-DSCF0210_resize.JPG 1255984593-DSCF0215_resize.JPG 1255984651-DSCF0233_resize.JPG 1255984684-DSCF0237_resize.JPG 1255984717-DSCF0235_resize.JPG

There are some bits missing I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Gary

Great stove with a brilliant built-in fuel funnel.

Why didn't this idea continue?? I remember talking to Bryan Miller about it and he gave me a reasoned argument as to why it was stopped - but I can't remember what he said!! :shock: :shock:

3. Gordon F

Yes, a beautiful little stove, and as Trevor says, I wonder why that very practical filler was discontinued.

Why is there also a filler on the top? Is it just to release the Pressure? Perhaps that's why they got rid of the bottom filler, a way of saving a few pennies.

4. Knight84

Gorgeous stove!

I would have to agree with Gordon about cost. Or maybe it proved to be a problem with leaks/spills.

Thanks,

Jeff

5. Ian

Ian Subscriber

On this model the fitting on the top of the tank is a safety device of sorts; not another filler.
    One of the major advantages of the bottom filler is that the wick can be changed without having to remove the riser/vapo.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

handy funnel or design flaw?
    looking at it if the filler gasket was iffy instead of just losing pressure like a 123 when being primed it would squirt fuel out on to the floor wouldn't it ? and if the spilt fuel caught it could get very exciting as the tank would get hotter squirting more fuel and that wouldn't be much fun in a tent :shock:

7. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

Hi
    I needed to fettle the SRV as a small flame could be seen from the thread of the cap whilst running it also didn't burn with the proper gusto.
    It is a very clever design a pin is fixed to the bottom of the tank and sticks up into what looks like a filler neck. Over this is placed a spring then a threaded "top hat" is screwed on top compressing the spring.
    The cap with its seal is screwed on top of the whole lot.
    Like this the SRV doesn't seal, you need to unscrew the top hat (using the stove key) until it seals against the underside of the cap seal.
    I replaced the seal with a new one of nitrile
    Sorry no pictures of the internals, I was a little twitchy not having fixed this type of valve before and didn't want the added pressure of photography. :oops:
    Anyway runs perfectly now.

1256925981-DSCF0263_resize.JPG

1256926058-DSCF0266_resize.JPG

And with BD33 silent damper.
    1256926184-DSCF0268_resize.JPG

The burner bell looks like it was made to accommodate the damper, the two lugs that locate the lamp attachment do an excellent job of holding the damper.
    1256926493-DSCF0250_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  8. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi All,

The problem is that the "funnel" only has a small hole at the bottom of it. The tank is full of air and when the funnel is filled the fuel cannot get into the tank until the air comes out so the filling is a glug, glug situation and the tank filling seems to take a long time

Regards Bryan

9. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

I experienced the leak from the bottom filler cap first hand yesterday. When I first filled my newly acquired 42 and turned it upright all seemed well. However, a minute after lighting it, pressure build-up in the tank started gasoline oozing from underneath the stove. Luckily I shut the thing off before the bottom puddle caught fire, but it was a close call. I bet this is why they discontinued the bottom filler.

Yonadav

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@redspeedster,

Morning, Gary,

Though I know this is a very old thread, thanks for posting this info on your early 42. I only found it today, actually, but it told me a few things about which I had questions regarding this type of NRV setup. May I ask, is the spring inside the NRV assembly very hard to compress? The one in mine seems exceedingly stout, and I am somewhat loathe to screw it down all the way. However, it leaks fuel from the NRV when pressure is applied inside the font, so I'm guessing that either I don't have it screwed down far enough, or the very stout spring in mine is not the original spring, and I need to find a less robust spring to replace it. Any thoughts, or ideas, please? Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

11. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

Mark
    As I remember the spring is indeed stout, but remember it isn't the compressing of the spring that seals the SRV.
    To seal the SRV you unscrew the slotted pin that protrudes through the cap and the seal on the underside of the cap creates the seal.
    By tightening the the slotted screw, you are actually making the valve leak.
    If you can't achieve a seal by turning the the slotted pin anticlockwise, the seal on the underside of the cap needs replacing.
    I may be wrong but I think the spring just holds the "top hat" in the correct adjustment.
    Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

12. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

Doc made me do it.
    Radius 42 burning. This being one of my "house" stoves it was easy to find and fire up. :)

13. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @redspeedster

Very nice! It's a great sound.

I have two I need to fettle (one requiring rebuilding the vapouriser). I should get around to doing that job!

Cheers

Tony

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@redspeedster ,

Hi, Gary!

Thanks, very much, for the additional information, and the video. Like @Tony Press , I, too, love that distinctive "puttering" sound that the 42, and other similar and excellent small stoves create when working perfectly!! I've no time right now to complete my fettle of my own older 42, but hope to in a month, or so. Summer is a very busy time for us, work-wise. Thanks, again, for the excellent info, and the fun video! (Oh, and yes, I'll "take the heat" for you posting the video! Very funny comment, my friend!! :thumbup: :lol:) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark (Ye Olde Doc)

P.S. Tony, well done on your own fettle of your 42!!