Radius 46

Discussion in 'Radius No:46' started by Christer Carlsson, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Sweden Moderator SotM Winner

Here's a really nice 46 I found in the basement when looking for another stove in the pile.
    It has the look of an old neglected stove, which it is, but I had to test it. And it still performs perfectly so I thought I'd better post it here. :lol:

1393613634-IMG_7878.jpg

1393613614-IMG_7874.jpg 1393613619-IMG_7875.jpg 1393613628-IMG_7876.jpg 1393613634-IMG_7878.jpg 1393613639-IMG_7888.jpg 1393613609-IMG_7889.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Awww, come on Christer!
    I love Radius equipment but do not have a 46.
    Yet another stove I can just wish for in my dreams.

I love the way that the fuel tank ends up outside of the stove case, making a partial heat-shield. Then the pan supports provide another heat-shield plate.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Another fine example of a fine stove. Nice vintage design.

Ken in NC

4. Cavry

Cavry Subscriber

As he says, "looking for another.. in the pile".That must be a nice "pile".

5. Christer Carlsson

Thanks Ken. And you're absolutely correct. It is a pretty decent stove.
    And in a condition I like since I won't be afraid to actually use it.

Trevor, I agree! I think the design is quite well thought through.
    Very functional and clever. And who knows... one of these days you will get one.
    Just don't go and buy one for the ridiculous eBay prices.

Cavry, the pile in the basement is interesting, I give you that.
    It contains all sort of things I've forgotten long ago.
    It has been interesting to roam around there lately.
    It is one certain room in the basement that we always has used as a "junk room", and it contain many strange things.
    The last 10-15 years it has been dedicated to pressure applications and related stuff. It also contain a large amount of unspecified carbide lamps that I haven't dealt with yet...

...the horror... 8-[ :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Thanks for sharing Christer, the 46 is my favorite amongst that type of stove (incl Optimus 99, Optimus 8, 8r, all the clones, etc). The strong steel case, slick design and engineering is what sets the Radius apart. The longer spindle is a nice touch as well, allow easy regulation/management when used with larger pots that would overlap/cover the smaller keys of her peers. That design though does expose the tank to the environment more so than the others (no base plate when deployed to protect it from scratches/dents/etc), in addition to the steel case + rust issues.

I have yet to see one with a nickeled tank, so not sure if they ever produced such a version, unlike most of their other camping models (and some of their domestics) which were offered in either. Keep digging in your pile for more stove gold (or silver...).

edit: I'm generally not a fan of the bulbous SRV'ed fuel cap on many Radius stoves, but this one seems to suit the stout 46 well (a small unassuming package is well endowed - reverse psychology of the insecure fellow who buys a HUGE SUV, lol).

7. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Another great looking stove - and in just the condition I like it in as well!
    A nice work horse of a stove.

As for the filler cap, did you have to change any parts?
    On mine, the little brass plate that sits on that Viton washer is damaged.
    It is a rather hard to find part, and I don't expect to find it any time soon. Of course, I'd like to find a replacement part and was wondering if anyone had a solution to this.

Frank

8. Christer Carlsson

Yes Frank, it's a nice model.
    To answer your question, I didn't have to do anything with it. Nothing changed in the filler cap. Perhaps I did this when I got the stove, but that's hidden in the mysterious fogs of the past... I don't remember.

I have never seen one either, but according to the 50's catalogue in here they offered a nickeled version.
    It's the one called 46F here

I don't like that cap either. It's generally very ugly.
    But I agree that this smaller model is acceptable, and actually looks quite OK on this chubby little tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Thanks Christer, good to confirm the existence of the nickeled version, should I ever come across one I'll let you know.