Radius no 21 uneven flame

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Morten M Andersen, May 31, 2022.

1. Morten M Andersen Denmark

I bought a nice Radius no 21. It seems to be a late model. I fired it up when I received it. Was burning ok. Only problem I initially had was a defect nrv. Ordered some spareparts and changed all seals.

Now my little no 21 is burning with a roaring flame. But there are some slight problems.

1) Firstly it burns with an uneven flame, ie one side is having high output and the other side is having a low output.
    2) Initially the “high side” is burning with yellow tips and smells a bit sooty.
    3) my no 21 struggles to burn more than half a tank. When it reaches 1/2 tank the flame seems to be starved of fuel and only air exits the burner.

What might be wrong and how can I fix my little no 21? 6673B9CE-B3B3-475A-8F9D-CC4F67D40B72.jpeg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Morten M Andersen

Welcome.

First make sure the jet is clean, and pricked properly.

If the uneven burn persists, check that there are no burrs in the jet. Use very fine emery paper to clean the surface of the nipple and the edges of the jet.

If you still have uneven burn, check that the flame plate is mounted evenly, and that the steam of vapourised fuel is hitting the centre of the flame plate.

Last but not least, you could try a new nipple.

Cheers

Tony

3. Knee

Knee Poland SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Morten M Andersen
    From my humble experience I know that the reason for the uneven flame may be an off-center nozzle opening or insufficiently permeable one side of the burner. (It should be decoking by warming up and blowing out with compressed air). Also pay attention if the burner is not tilted to one side. (It should be straightened by fixing it in a vice and gently tapping it with a wooden hammer).
    As far as point 3 is concerned, probably more competent colleagues will appear here and help solve the problem.
    Good luck.
    Stanislaw