Radius No:22

Discussion in 'Radius No:22' started by threedots, Aug 26, 2009.

1. threedots New Zealand

A well used stove that has been on many wild pig and deer hunting trips I believe.
    The previous owner had had it serviced completely but I found it hard to start and the flames burnt mainly yellow and only when it was pumped up excessively.
    It had been serviced-new seals and nipple, including having had it's pump tube removed to service the NRV,but the burner needed a good decoke I found.
    Once decoked, it pumped up well and the flame burnt a lovely blue.
    There is alot of markings from use with a couple of small dents, but it still looks great.

1251279567-Radius_1_opt.jpg 1251279609-Radius_2_opt.jpg 1251279654-Radius_3_opt.jpg 1251279716-Radius_4_opt.jpg 1251279759-Radius_5_opt.jpg 1251279823-Radius_6_opt.jpg 1251279876-Radius_Burner_opt.jpg

I will take photos of it going when my better half is out shopping.She doesn't like the smell of fuels.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Dutchmike

Hello ... , I am pleased to see "my" 22 is not alone anymore here on CCS; do you have any more information about it's background? Was Radius imported or arrived stoves like these with immigrants? Regards, Mike

3. threedots New Zealand

Hello Mike.
    I don't know much about the history of this one other than what the previous owner told me when I won it in an auction.I think it belonged to his father.
    It could have been imported or may even may have come across with an immigrant, as New Zealand is mainly an immigrant colony.
    My parents also come from Dutchland-Limburg province in the South of Holland.
    I was pleased to see your Radius No:22 and I wish that mine was as complete as yours.
    Do you know how rare they are as I was surprised to see yours was the only one on the CCS site.
    Regards,Johannes

4. Dutchmike

Dag Johannes, of is het Johan?
    That particular part of the Netherlands was mockingly referred to as "Limbabwe" when local political mismanagement was rife... but it is a very beautiful, unique part of the Netherlands where I have always been made feel welcome!

I still need to put my feelers out about how Radius was represented in the Netherlands. Odd numbered stoves like "our" 22's have turned up: please check with the Gallery on the mis-numbered No.12 that actually is another 22 I found.
    I also found a No.24 (!) for sale, but unfortunately, the seller never responded despite my very serious offer.
    All this to the initial disbelieve by a very serious swedish collector I have been collaborating with, which is food for thought that some 'typical' dutch entrepeneur bought odd-balls cheaply from the swedish factory and unloaded them here in the Netherlands.
    The 22 seems to be unknown in Sweden.

Come to think of it, my money would be on some dutch emigrant bringing your 22 to N.Z.
    Either way, you do have something special there, not in the least for the fine job you did on her!

Met vriendelijke groet,
    Giel Meijer

5. threedots New Zealand

Hello Again Mike.
    Yes I am Johan or John in English and shamefully my Dutch is not good, unlike your English.
    I lost my Dutch speaking ability when I was a young child after spending 2 years in hospital here in New Zealand.

I did see your Radius No:12(or 22 as it should have been labeled).I was searching for the Radius No:12 when I came across it.
    Having a mistake like that would make it even more collectable and of greater value I would think.

You could be correct about my Radius No:22 being brought to NZ by an immigrant but I do not know.
    An overseas CCS member had contacted me recently inquiring why some rare and valuable brass stoves(like the Jupiter) are being found in NZ and Australia more often than some other countries where they would be more expected.
    I suggested that the NZ and Australian colonial history is only about 200 years old and being such a long distance from the immigrants 'mother countries', such stoves were not easily replaced with the more modern ones and were looked after and used up untill around the First and Second World War.
    After that period, trading was made alot easier because of modern transport between NZ and the European markets and NZ became more modernised.

Thanks for your imformation about the Radius No:22 and I am sorry that I could not help you any further about it's history.

Kind Regards, John

6. threedots New Zealand

The burner output surprised me- How powerful it is.
    As promised- Two photos of it in operation.
    Please excuse the quality.

1251611198-Radius_22_in_operation_opt_2.jpg 1251611240-100_1559_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hey threedots, great looking stove.

Lovely cherry-red. The 1 pint stoves must surely be the most versatile and reliable of burners.
    Small enought to pack in a ruksack but big enough to cook a three course meal easily.
    Most also achieve a 'cherry-red' very quickly.

8. threedots New Zealand

Thanks Trevor.
    I think the previous owner sold it on because the performance wasn't good at all after the extensive service it had.
    The decoke made a big difference.
    The burner only had the heat and quench method used(about 8 times untill clear) as the carbon came away quiet easily.
    I have used the heat and air assisted method for some other burners in the past,but this one didn't need it.
    It had been soaking in degreaser(not the caustic type) for about 24 hours beforehand which may have helped it along.
    Regards, John

9. Dutchmike

Hello Trevor, the Radius 22 is a little bigger stove than the ubiquitous 1-pinter, but with a similar burner. However, I doubt if mine is original spec. as Johannes' burner head shows the old casting I do not have. This stove also has fixed feet curving outwards, that do not seem practical to pack, but make for a very low and stable stove.
    It is one of my favorite stoves.

And Johannes, thanks for the exchange; I will keep an eye on what turns up in het vaderland and possibly will clue you in.

Regards, Mike

10. threedots New Zealand

Hello Again Mike, and Johan will do.
    Also thanks for keeping me imformed on what you may find in het vaderland.
    Having my roots there; I am always interested in what stoves are found there.

Kind Regards,John

11. theyellowdog

I am the current owner of this lovely stove. I thought I would add my experience of fixing the NRV in it. The NRV was working fine but I decided to remove it for a look anyway. It was well and truly stuck and I ruined it trying. So I pulled the pump tube and had a closer look. The NRV had been solidly soldered in place with a lot of solder. I melted it all off into little puddles on my work bench, reassembled it and she is good as new.
    I should have followed the rule "it is ain't broke, don't fix it" and saved myself the trouble.

With some good advice from members here I also managed to do a fairly good job of re-soldering the air screw.

A great stove lives to cook another day!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. threedots New Zealand

Hello Dan.
    Glad to hear that you now have it. :lol: It was you who I bid against when I first purchased it. :) :)
    I could see that the pump tube had been removed by the heat mark around it before I had polished it out.
    I too had trouble trying to get the NRV out and decided to leave it when I bent the arms on my tool. Now I know why.

Did you get the Howes & Burley as well? The person you bought this stove from me bought that of me as well. He got it dirt cheap.
    Cheers, John

13. theyellowdog

Hi John

I just got this one stove from him. I paid some cash and gave him a rm 320 range. I think he sold this radius because it was louder than he wanted for his boat.

I did really like the RM range and hope to find another one day. I could not afford to buy this stove out-right so I sent a few photos of stoves that I thought he might like for his boat. I was very surprised when he chose the RM as he had a sea swing and I had a few silent discuss stoves on offer.

Dan