Radius No:6 - c:a 1950's

Discussion in 'Radius No:6' started by Archivist, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Archivist

Archivist Archivist

Courtesy of Dr Peter Watchorn

1213655245-radius6.jpg

2. Northern Light

A nice example. The title is misleading. The stove is from the 1950s given the various details like tanklid, pump, burner and pot rest.

3. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Yes, it's clearly from that later period (not to mention the recessed filler hole, also not a feature of Radius stoves until the 1950s). We should fix the caption. Ross?

4. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Changed to say 1950's.

5. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Here are recent photos of it in action: the best regulating burner I have ever used.

20180521_112259.jpg

20180521_112313.jpg

20180521_112344.jpg

20180521_112359.jpg

20180521_112552.jpg

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

7. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi George: Oddly, I found this one I have had for years, still in its' box (though not unused) and decided to fire it up - just to see if it worked. I was astonished at its' incredible efficiency and the fact that it needed nothing fixed (perhaps it wasn't much used by its' original owner, though it had been sooted up a bit). I have also found that, very often, people run their stoves on dirty fuel (as I'm sure I did), and forget to flush out the tanks regularly, leading to impurities in the flame and (often) the mistaken notion that the jet needs replacing. If the fuel is not 100% clean, you can actually see soot build up on the jet within a single lighting. Since I started using US A-1 kero and regularly flushing the tanks (and using a fine strainer funnel), I have found that these stoves burn cleanly for many years, and need minimal jet cleaning. The Radius (Ltd) No. 6 is a real gem. Was this model around in the 1930s? I didn't notice it in the old no. 32 catalogue..

8. kerophile

Hi Peter, I sent a message to the Moderators, when I made the above post, asking for them to change the likely date to 1940s rather than the 1930s. The date had already been changed to the 1940s in the Reference Gallery, on the basis of Radius Ltd, the patent date of the SRV, and the flush filler/ tank joint. I think your No.6 is slightly later as it boasts the recessed filler design.
    Best Regards,
    George.

9. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Hi George: it also has the later Radius Ltd stamping, with a smaller script "Made in Sweden" with Arabic translation underneath, located on the upper tank, in the panel to the left of the filler cap. Those Nos. 5 with recessed filler cap have the same stamps..I'm guessing 1950s? Of course, I looked at the '30s catalogues and found the No. 6 in he 1937 version. It is interesting that Radius considered their No. 5 S:or as a completely different and equivalent stove (to the No. 5) in the 1930s, (not just a lighter, cheaper No. 5) as it had the (older) silent burner design, whereas the No. 5 had the so-called "UFO" burner, with single perforated burner cap. Radius certainly was innovative: I'm not sure if you've used a No. 3, but the "Excellent" burner is, indeed, excellent, and incredibly reliable (and just as fast as the standard silent, despite its' smaller cap dimensions).

10. Northern Light

@abbahco1 Great pictures. The pics you added give a better date for the stove (large Arabic script on the tank). It was made in 1956 or later at the Västberga factory.

11. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

The late nos. 1 & 5 have the same tank markings and the recessed filler port. I always assumed they must be from the 1950s.

12. kerophile

Hi @Northern Light it is now ten years since I posted images of my Radius No.6 stove:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/radius-no-6-from-1940s.9033/

The information, and our thinking on the dating of these Radius stoves has developed considerably during these years, in part due to your input.
    I believe that my No.6 is slightly younger than that of @abbahco1 , since it does not have a sunken filler.

Please will you give me an estimate of my stove’s likely manufacturig date?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

13. Northern Light

Hi @abbahco1 and @kerophile

The Radius No 6 stove in your link is from the 1940s. It is made after 1942. All parts seem to be from the same time. I can probably give a more precise date, but I will have to reference knurling etc this weekend.

I will take a closer look at the sunken filler. I have to check some of my stoves this weekend. I have some materials not published on CCS yet.

Best regards

Northern Light

14. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Not as late as the 50s? When did Radius Ltd begin to employ those stamps and the recessed filler hole? Peter

15. Northern Light

16. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Got it ! Thanks! Peter