re-chromed

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by CRAZY CRAB, May 22, 2020 at 11:00 PM.

1. CRAZY CRAB

CRAZY CRAB United Kingdom Subscriber

borred, so had these re-chromed, look good, next thinking of having a 8R box done,

plates and legs cromed.jpg plates and legs 1 cromed.jpg

2. CW

CW United States Subscriber

love to see the 8R box plated sure would take care of any rust problems for awhile

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Very shiny! These parts were never chromed, though.

Cheers

Tony

4. CRAZY CRAB

the 3 rods are chromed and the round things were nickel plated, but they look chromed,

5. William Ritchie

The 8R would be nice with a satin hard chrome finish , But you could use the bright finish as a signaling mirror if needed , Sure would take the heat better than paint . The rods and rings turned out nice , will look good with that purple hue they will get from the heat . WR

6. Plantpot United Kingdom

@CRAZY CRAB

Nice to see something a bit different other than rust and soot! Its your stove and should reflect (no pun intended) what you want to do with it, it was of course intended as a tool and a utility and nothing more so turning it into a show piece for your own and others pleasure is a great thing to do.

On a personal note, I think too much chrome can spoil a look, but I think it really makes for the small details rather than lots and lots of it, a bit like polished brass, I think you can have too much.

I can't stand poncy "patina" though... Don't get me wrong. Most people who bang on about it don't even know the correct pronunciation of it either, yes, famous presenters from the TV, I am talking about you! and most can't even tell the difference between actual rust, structural disintegration, dirt and 80 year old encrusted bacon fat.

Great job on the stove parts, was the chroming expensive to do? I know some plating companies are a bit picky on what they will plate due to contamination of the part and their chemical stock as I found out once doing motorcycle parts.

7. CRAZY CRAB

£50, but had to wait 2 months, due to lock down, gave them a good cleaning befor i handed them over, I know a lot of places dont like doing Motorbike exhaust pipes, this was in the late 70s, when I was 18ish, and could ride a 250cc BSA

8. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

Here here!

I was asked by an acquaintance if I could restore an old railway lantern. It wasn't a rare piece, just nice to keep, plus it was going to live at a small railway museum. When they brought it round I was told I couldn't repaint it or remove the rust, which was already structurally significant an a few places. I told them that if the corrosion was left untreated in the open air (in the Highlands of Scotland) it wouldn't survive long. They listened politely without really listening and then took the lamp away in a manner that suggested I might start smashing it with a sledge hammer at any moment. Shame as it won't survive much longer. Their reasoning for allowing it to slowly disintegrate? Patina.

TV has a lot to answer for!

9. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice results @CRAZY CRAB. Normally re-plating isn't something I'd ever consider. A pet hate of mine is the awful look of decayed nickel plated stoves, impossible make presentable and impossibly expensive to rectify. But occasionally re-plating is the only way out, and I have just had the chrome base plate of my Landers, Frary and Clark alcohol stove re-plated. The rusted mess of the base almost had the stove binned more than once. But like yours the results are quite something, and the stove is now reprieved.
    Before:
    DSC09807.JPG
    After:
    DSC09868.JPG
    Ian:thumbup: