Reasons to cook on Trangia

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Sternenlicht, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Dear all,

Reading the recent discussions about trangias motivated me to take my trangias out off the shelf. I have two duossal 27 and I like that system quite much, BUT I do not use it that often. I do much hiking trips and with my family camping holylidays. For the hiking trips I prefer much lighter stoves, on winter trips.much stronger stoves and on family trips stoves with much better regulation...

So not so many reasons for the trangia.

What are the reasons for you to take the trangia?

Ciao, Bastian

2. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Herself has a Trangia 27 and a 25, they are just about the only stove type she’ll use... No moving parts, nothing to go wrong with them, they easily adjust from simmer to boil, wind has little effect on them, and not much she can’t prepare on one of them...

I usually have a Trangia 28-t in my vehicle, or when I’m camping/canoeing... It’s quick, and simple.

Part of me loves fiddling with mechanical stoves: pump this, adjust that, muck about with whatever aspect of the stove that happens to be “in a mood”, and try to find a spot out of the wind,,,

Trangia is a well thought out system,,, not the lightest, not the least bulky, and not likely to ever be “in a mood”...

98C65109-F253-4A3D-9644-613DF4660F99.jpeg

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Fun to use.
    Simple use.
    Safe fuel.
    Wind resistant.
    Variable. A kettle and 2 pots make varying the use easy.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

We use Trangia stoves because they work, and are very easy to use. From cooking breakfast on the front deck, to camping, they have never let us down and we enjoy their simple, quiet, genius, design!

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

LOVE those Trangia stoves!!

Doc and Sweet Bride

5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

They are stable, simple, QUIET and they always work.

Just some kind of fun factor too, classic, classy.

I've got an Opitmus 81 I'm getting myself broken in on, it has a bit more fiddle factor so far......

6. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

I think the 2 things I appreciate most about the Trangia are how quiet it is (I’m a car mechanic, I have 2 teenage boys and 3 dogs-quiet is a precious commodity) and my general appreciation for the elegance of the design. There are hotter burners, there are lighter rigs but few hit the balance of simplicity and effectiveness so well as a Trangia 25/27. It’s a true classic and I really like mine a lot.

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

All of that ... and I can add my Optimus Nova if I want to.

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Steaks, too:

[​IMG]

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Is that Ed .. without a Sigg kit?

10. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I admit it. I also admit that it's the next best thing. The problem is that I bought it, used it once, and haven't been able to find it since. It's buried somewhere in the vast basement....

11. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

To all, Trangia is not only a stove... It's a cooking sistem. That is why it is so succesfull

Cheers

Enrique

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

13. Tron

Tron Subscriber

For actual hiking, hunting and fishing trips I always take one of my four Trangia sets (2x25, 2x27). I hardly use the spirit burner, only for hunting situations when I need to stay silent. Otherwise I use the Trangia multifuel burner, the one based on the Optimus Nova of course. I have two original multifuel burners and also a Optimus polaris in a Trangia burner cup.

I have never seen, or used, a system that is more stable and spill proof, pots and pans are held in the windshield. The base is large and stable, in winter I put it on the Trangia multidisc or on a plate, then it won`t sink even in loose snow. The Nova based burner regulates better than any stove I have used, including Optimus stoves like the 80, 99 and 111/111T, Coleman single, double and triple burners and even canister stoves. On full power it will boil 1L of water in five minutes, yet it can be turned down to very low simmer that will burn evenly for hours.

Weight? if you take an ultra light stove and add the weight of the fuel canister you necessarily need, and pots/pan necessary for actual cooking, it comes rather close to a Trangia 27 with the multifuel burner and pump/fuel bottle. Perhaps you can save 200-300 grams (ca. 10 oz). I have a Primus TI that is very light, and nests in a 0.8L cup, with a small canister and alu windshield it weighs around 650 grams, but if I add some pots/pans to actually cook the weight of the kit is closer to 1400 grams. Its almost impossible to go much lighter if you`re going to do much more than just boil water. I gladly carry the small additional weight of the Trangia for its wind- and spillproofness, and its easy, safe handling.

Tron

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

My Trangia is easily my most used stove, probably by 10x more than any other. No bother or fuss, it has no moods, utterly unbothered by wind, quiet, works in any weather condition I'll ever willingly find myself in.

15. ArcticStoves

Thanks to much help on here I have acquired a Trangia-HA which is just the right size for 2 boil in the bag entrés.

I echo the comments above that it is a silent stove, which is a great thing for hot lunches during wildlife observation. If the Bald Eagles or Common Loons call, with the T-25HA running, we will hear them!!!

With carbon-felt insulation, it appears to be usable down to -30C...

16. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Ok, so many enthusiast!
    I will give it a chance on our family trips! My wife will be pleased about the silence...

Ciao, Bastian

17. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

100_5811.JPG Going to give my sigg kit some alcohol and hope it behaves like a trangia nice and quiet. Sigg did make inoxal alcohol version which used the trangia burner.
    Stay safe sunny SoCal

18. Tobias

I like and use the Trangia, because it's a complete system of pots,pan stove and windshield.
    Also is the alcohol burner idiot safe and very silent too.
    In Sweden you can buy Rödsprit
    http://www.uniolprodukter.se/shop/10783/art83/h7275/10307275-origpic-09997f.jpg
    in most DIY stores.
    If a need more power I'll take the gas insert. Or if its very cold, I use the Trangia winter set or my Nova or Himlaya petrol stove insert.
    I am using the model 25 and 27, both in Duossal. Sometimes the Triangle.