Recent MSR stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by 8R Pete, Sep 16, 2020.

1. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

A few pics-solid rod in tube, fat sparker and generator flat on top leans to right side.

Attached Files:

• mf5.5.jpg
      mf5.5.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
    • m 3.jpg
      m 3.jpg
      File size:
      69.6 KB
      Views:
    • m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      59.6 KB
      Views:
    • m8.jpg
      m8.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • m9.jpg
      m9.jpg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
  2. 8R Pete

Clearer image. I think its either an MF or DF? I looked at countless threads so have narrowed it down to those two. Only thing missing from my collection is a seemingly impossible to find MSR Model 9.

Attached Files:

• ra.jpg
      ra.jpg
      File size:
      80.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @8R Pete ,

Yep, you have an MSR DF, for sure! Look at this one from @snwcmpr , and you can also see the instructions that came with his, too.

MSR Dual Fuel Stove

Well done, and congrats, Sir!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. 8R Pete

Doc if this is indeed a DF, then the knurled piece that holds the flint inside was changed as I have the screw. Also the cable or rod is not as pronounced as snwcmpr's-its not coming out anytime soon, and looks to me like a solid piece. Also I noticed the striker wheel on mine is fat not thin, and the nut that holds it on looks like a piece of a nut-not solid like in snwcmpr's pics. How do you distinguish between a DF and MF?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

One major difference between the MF and DF is that MSR simply said it could use less fuels. Multi Fuel vs Dual Fuel.

6. 8R Pete

Can I burn kero in this stove? Does dual fuel mean white gas and kero?

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Yes, with a jet change.

8. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hi Pete, You have done well presenting this one and others. I'm sure yours is as you've said, "rod in tube". Re model I'm with you so far "either MF or DF?". You will want to know what jet it came with. When you get round to it can you share that detail with us (does jet have screen? wide top?) and what is under the jet? Thanks.
    @8R Pete

9. 8R Pete

OMC- thank you. On my day off from work tomorrow, I will bring it to my Moms garage to see what's underneath the spreader plate. It looks like the jet has not been touched in a while. The seller said he got it at REI in the 70's. The only thing is it didn't come with any paperwork.

10. 8R Pete

Sitting tonight looking at my stove, I decided to remove the spreader plate and see what is inside. Threaded piece-looks like a set screw and the jet. I can see very faintly that the jet has a marking along the length-I believe the last letter is an R. Also the pan wires I thought were held in place by a push on retainer ring there are very small external snap rings to hold the wires on. 1 is missing so I will hope another retainer ring I have fits.

Attached Files:

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@8R Pete ,

I am certain that your stove is a DF, and not an MF. I have both, and my MF is an early one. Some may disagree, but most of those folks don't own both stoves. Using my own stoves, and instructions, plus those from @snwcmpr , I am sure your stove is not a MF, but rather the DF. For what it's worth........

Doc

12. 8R Pete

Not arguing Doc-the threads do get confusing. Just showing what is inside the jet and that screw piece. Now got to get some very small external snap rings as the retaining rings in my MSR parts bag are a bear to get on. I'm really happy with this stove purchase as its in pretty good shape. I will light it up tomorrow and post some pics. Your DF-does it have just the coil or the spring on the coil? I looked at some pics on here never see them on E Bay for sale. I actually have another stove ( maybe another DF) I bought from a member on here -Hazet. Nice stove also.

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Could the 'R' be a 'K' for kerosene. The other would be a 'G'.

14. 8R Pete

No markings on the jet-my eyes are playing tricks on me. I cleaned out the jet and put the retaining ring to hold the 1 pot support on-easier than I thought it would be. The stove on white gas-fuel started flowing within seconds of turning on the valve. Running real nice.

Attached Files:

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

That little set screw does not look like MSR original. Maybe a home made damper. The originals are sintered brass.

16. 8R Pete

I have some of the original ones as I think they came in some other parts bags. I have like maybe 10 parts bags I counted today.

17. OMC

OMC Subscriber

I'm still with ya Pete,
    You may already have this figured but that "screw" is original.
    Yours, original, being the later hollow (drilled out) threaded rod.
    IMG_0832 (2).JPG
    early jet (not a wider top) unmarked w/ "the helix (threaded rod)", hollow threaded rod.
    -------------------------------------

It's predecessor is
    early jet (not a wider top) unmarked w/ "the helix (threaded rod)", solid threaded rod.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  18. 8R Pete

OMC- Yes that is what is in it, but snwcmpr says the piece does not look original. Whoever drilled it out must have been real good with a drill then. I contacted the person I bought it from. He says he is the original owner. I question why no instructions came with some of these stoves as I keep all paperwork. The jet has a small screen it looks like in it but my eyesight is not that great anymore and badly need a prescription change. I do have the sintered brass damper in a parts bag-I looked today- someone put it in the little plastic squirt bottle.

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I have been wrong before. Just my recollection.
    Yup...
    MSR G

20. 8R Pete

snwcmpr- I seem to have seen this before in another stove of mine but I own 19 MSR white gas stoves and think it was in a DF that I bought from a member on here. Could be wrong, kind of a bit of work to see especially since I got to sit often. I do have the brass dampers, should they be in there instead?