Refilling gas canisters

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by boknasild, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Cats really enjoy finding an open box of o-rings.

....Arch

2. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@presscall, John what would.you guess the sectional dimension of the o ring fitted to yours is? I'm tempted to cut down and super glue one of the larger rings to fit.

I'm guessing the manufavturing tolerances of the cheap canisters is quite wide, and with a less than ideal o ring in the adapter then problems are going to occur.

Glueing ends of seals was recommended by a local o ring manufactuter who custom made one for an old pressure cooker I have.

I don't think we need to ask about how you know Arch. :D

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Simes
    I didn’t measure it when I removed it for the photos but the outside diameter is determined by that of the recess for it in the adaptor and the ID is surely not going to be critical.
    If pushed without one to fit I’d punch a disc out of viton sheet, 1.5mm thick ideally - then punch a 1.5mm hole (or thereabouts) in the centre of it.

John

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

John, the inner diameter of the fitted ring I don't believe is anywhere near capable of a gas tight seal.

A quick check shows ring o/d as 7mm, i/d 3.5mm, or as close as I can get with a digital caliper. The canister nozzle is a nominal 4mm o/d so only just an interference fit in this case. Yours looked a lot smaller i/d.

eta pic.

WP_20191025_18_54_55_Pro.jpg

eta 2,

Just re read your suggestion @presscall on i/d for a home made seal as 1.5mm. I have some work to do obviously.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  5. presscall

@Simes
    A difference in inside diameter clearly and probably pushing it a bit for an effective seal. Issue is whether the designer intends for the tip of the sprung-loaded gas canister probe to butt up against the O-ring or pass through the centre hole, though with an interference fit. It could seal effectively in either case.

6. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@presscall, John the canister nozzle should hit the body of the connector where the hole is. It's just metal to metal at that point, so the o ring is the only gas seal. Funnily enough having refitted the seal a few times the connector is now working ok, but I'll not trust it completely until I have a better seal fitted, I'll certainly try knocking up a beefier one. I definately have plenty to play with now. :)

7. presscall

I don’t believe that’s so ...

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Ok some dimensional info before posting a few images, note these are nominal figures.

From the base of the adaptor to the internal inlet is 10.5mm, from the base to the bottom of the removed casting in your image is 7mm, or at least in the one I have. Probably 6mm given the 'lip' the canister will hit.

The nozzle I

9. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Ok some dimensional info before posting a few images, note these are nominal figures.

From the base of the adaptor to the internal inlet is 10.5mm, from the base to the bottom of the removed casting in your image is 7mm, or at least in the one I have. Probably 6mm given the 'lip' the canister will hit.

The nozzle should be 7mm long iirc, so simple substraction given the nozzle has to pass through the o ring gives 3 - 4mm of travel before the connector locks on. I've not checked the 'lock' play travel.

I've also cut down one of the (many) 2mm rings to fit and even without glued ends it is till gas tight.

10. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Well I finally managed a photo call of the refilling kit. First in line is the Bleuet.

WP_20191115_12_06_59_Pro.jpg

For this you'll need a cheap butane canister and adapter.

WP_20191115_12_10_37_Pro.jpg

I'm still waiting for the replacement for this one as discussed further back in the thread, shown for example.purposes only.

Next is a Lindal control valve, I bought one with braided hose, and a section of tube and hose clips. This is cheap propane hose from a camping shop sold by the metre.

WP_20191115_12_11_29_Pro.jpg

Pop the receiving canister in the freezer to chill and put the donor in hot tap water, 70 deg C should be good enough. It will make gurgling noises which I hadn't been warned about. The connect everything together.

WP_20191115_12_14_31_Pro.jpg

Open both valves and wait a few minutes for the filling to happen. At this point I don't have any weight comparisons for a full refill, and stopped when there was what seemed like enough liquid butane in the canister. The clips need to be fairly tight as they have a tendency to blow off.

The next set is Lindal to Lindal refill.

WP_20191115_12_19_23_Pro.jpg

The adapter/valve is shown at the bottom. The central canister is sold for weed burners and is a bit cheaper than the squat camping types. Using the same cool/warm technique it's just a matter of connecting the two canister together and opening the valve.

WP_20191115_12_20_26_Pro (2).jpg

I think that about covers everything @Marc @Big Si

11. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Looks good, thank you sir.

12. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

@Simes

Glad you go it sorted in the end, wait till your doing your 70/30 butane propane mixes.

Si

13. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I'm not doing anything like that till I have new crayons @Big Si :)