Refinishing after fire ?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by snakeshack, Mar 3, 2019.

1. snakeshack

After my genius next door neighbour had " a bit of a fire " to burn some garden rubbish, resulting in 3 sheds and various fences going up in flames I now need to restore/refinish 20-30 stoves which are covered in paint residue from exploding cans and have very smoke strained lacquer.

Most are disc shaped brass, by various manufacturers, and there are several Coleman single and dual burner stoves.

I want to polish and lacquer the brass stoves as that was my original finish.
    I know there are different views on finish and I don't want a debate on whether to polish, lacquer, wax or leave in working clothes, especially as I know there are strong and differing opinions on this. What I need is a recommendation on the best type of clear lacquer to use and a supplier if possible

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

So sorry to hear of the mishap @snakeshack
    I’m UK based so it should be possible for you to locate this brand - Rustins metal lacquer.

D5F81C91-5991-4FAA-BE29-C3B9F0837D35.jpeg

The only issue is to find a large enough bottle/can of the stuff to do a couple of dozen stoves.

An aerosol would be ideal, but brush marks on lacquer over shiny brass aren’t maybe as obvious as they would on an opaque paint finish.

Good luck!

John

3. snakeshack

Thanks , with the layout from his insurance I can afford at least a couple of cans,he's already paid 2 grand for my new workshop

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

On UK eBay, type in 'Rustins metal lacquer' and you will get lots of bottles just like the one in presscall's post.
    It is also the metal lacquer that I use.