Regulated Burners I have known.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I was in correspondence with my CCS- friend, Al , yesterday and took some photos of different makes of Regulated silent burners. I then thought that they might interest some others, so decided that I would post them on the main Site;

First an "Optimus" branded burner:

DSCN0131_edited-7.jpg

DSCN0132_edited-8.jpg

DSCN0133_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0135_edited-2.jpg

Secondly, we have a "Primus" brand regulated burner:

DSCN0134_edited-4.jpg

DSCN0135_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0136_edited-6.jpg

DSCN0137_edited-2.jpg

DSCN0134_edited-3.jpg

Our third Regulated burner is a Patria model, Made in Portugal:

DSCN0138_edited-2.jpg

DSCN0139_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0140_edited-1.jpg

DSCN0136_edited-5.jpg

The fourth regulated burner, is this well-used Radius silent burner on my Radius No.6 stove:

DSCN0126_edited-8.jpg

Here is an internal link to some photos of the Radius in operation. It is a first-class, very controllable burner.

DSCN0129_edited-9.jpg

Finally, for completeness, we have a conventional, non-regulated, Primus Brand silent burner for a No.5 stove:

DSCN0140_edited.jpg

I hope this is of interest. Although these burners do have Manufacturer's names and country of origin, they have no parts numbers on them. That would make it all too easy!

However, I think those regulated burners which I have shown above, are all very similar, and have inter-changeable parts.

It is interesting that all these burners, apart from the early Radius Model, have eight holes in the "skirt" of the burner head

However, you will also note from the photos that there are some other small differences, for example, the inner silent cap the Primus regulated burner has holes on top.There are also holes in the centre up-stand of the corresponding silent burner body.
    I believe this to be subject of a Primus patent, claimed to prevent or reduce the incidence of under-burn.

These perforated inner caps also turn up on certain conventional, non-regulated, silent burners. I have found that the burner operates with un-perforated caps just as well, so perhaps they are not critical in normal operation.

Before anyone mentions it..Some of the photos show burners assembled without heat-proof washers. This is because the majority of burners shown are NOS from my spares box, and I "dry "assembled them merely to take the photos.

Aren't stoves fascinating?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  2. barrabruce

Here's one for you Kerophile/others.
    New type Optimus burner.
    Note the complete casting of all the joints now.

newoptimusburner1.jpg

newoptimusburner2.jpg

Apart from the nipple not seating. The control valve not seat cut in line and a few pin holes in the casting. Oh yeah mostly stripped threads. Its a bloody good burner!!!
    How about a swap for one of them 'ol bunged together jobbies, Kerophile???
    Just what you need for your collection. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :roll: Boy have I known a few beauties too!!!
    Barra

3. spudz

This is a great thread, thanks Kero for doing it.

Can I add my Hipolito adjustable burner, please?

This came from Doc Mark, for a Kap Arctic project that still awaits developing. :shock: :shock:

IMG_9850-1.jpg

IMG_9858-1.jpg

IMG_9853.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_9856.jpg

IMG_9857.jpg

4. kerophile

Hi Bruce, thanks for adding the photos of a more recent? Optimus burner. It is a very complex casting and a real challenge to get right.

I had another close look at my regulated burners and although the section changes appear much sharper than on your Optimus, they too are a casting. The two down pipes from the burner chamber and the needle valve/cleaning needle drive housing are a one-piece casting I believe.

Hi Spudz, Thanks for the photos of the Hipolito regulated burner. It does look very similar to the Patria, doesn't it? What's the bet that they were made with the same tooling, if not in exactly the same Portuguese Factory.

If you examine the photos closely you will see that some of burners have a facility for "locking" the outer silent cap in position, with a quarter turn There are a couple of lugs on the burner top, and two corresponding small locating cut-outs on the skirt of the outer cap.

Both Optimus burners, the Patria and the Hipolito have this feature.

The Primus regulated burner, the elderly Radius regulated, and the conventional Primus silent burner do not.

I was interested to see the following feature in the "News" section of the Base Camp Site:

We are commissioning a batch of 207b adjustable burners as fitted to the Optimus #7 or 5R and marine stoves such as Optimus, Tayors, Shipmate, Mariner & Patria. Production is scheduled for September and the burner are likely to be in great demand. We are currently taking orders for burners to be delivered in late September.
    We have plenty of spare parts left in stock to service the burners.

I wonder where they are sourced from and what the price will be?

Best Regards

Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  5. kerophile

Hi, I just found the Internal Link where perforated, inner silent burner caps were discussed.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. kerophile

Hi, here are some photos of a Geniol regulated silent burner:

DSCN0005_edited-1.jpg DSCN0004copy.jpg

DSCN0002_edited-1.jpg

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. n2666s

n2666s Subscriber

don't know if this should go here but thought it might be useful to others that have regulated burners not only to us with 155s
    when I got my 155 it had an alcohol burner on the left side and was a disaster; with the aid of the Gentlemen on this forum it got sorted out and replaced the needle and jet with kero needle and jet and torched it + ultrasound + citric acid; :D/ :D/ .........whoa!; not so fast =; 15-20 minutes later yellow sooty flame again :cry: went through the entire removal and cleaning process several times.........at all times, NO Problem with the right burner so no need to clean it out?, right? so I never removed it.
    so Yesterday same problem again, the left side starts to soot up again soo why not take both off and clean them since the right side even though it burns nicely is looking scuzzy also!; the throats are totally different !.

1404675877-003_different_burners_right_choked_left_none_choked.jpg

it is not really clear on the left burner about the choke cause you are looking straight down the "Y" of the burner, it is clearer on this one
    1404675908-002_throat_non_choked_burner.jpg

have others noticed a difference tween the throat of regulated burners; I had no idea till I had them side by side.
    NOW THE OTHER BIG PROBLEM I HAVE :oops: which one goes where? I put them both in the ultrasonic/citric acid bath together ..........the question is which burner is the correct one ? choked or non-choked ? appreciate all the help and advice I can get; cheers
    Lou
    Attachment

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015