Removing an NRV

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by haknuts, Jan 17, 2019.

1. haknuts

I dont know if this method has been discussed before, but here goes.
    I just aquired an 69 year old unused P96. Though I intend to keep it so, I still wanted to replace the pip with a new neoprene. As expected, the NRV would not give in easily, even after a 24h soak with Lurium. So I filled the tube with boiling water, tool in - and viola. Me - NRV : 1 - 0. I assume the physics behind this do not need any elaboration.

For any newcomers Id like to add that many NRV tools out there are poor quality/designed, so be critical to what you buy/use. If/when they slip, then your soldering skills will have to be put to test :-) Best, Haavar

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@haknuts
    There’s a variation worth a try Haavar. I’ll certainly try it when a NRV crops up that’s proving difficult to budge.

I agree, a good quality NRV tool is essential. I’ve a Primus branded one that’s absolutely standard to look at (no different from a poor quality one) but in terms of its hardened/tempered metallurgy and precise machining it’s much superior.

A 96 always presents the severest test.

John

3. afoton

That I have to try. I have one Radius 43 that has been soaked in lurium for 3 month now.
    Thanks.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

What is Lurium?

5. haknuts

@snwcmpr If you experience sudden loss of hair, acute toothache, a clogged injector, hard stools, corroded extremities, or even a stuck NRV - then Lurium is what you need. It may or may not work, it all depends on the active substance and the consistancy. The important thing is to ensure it is fresh. I belive it is markedet as Snakeoil in US/UK.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  6. snwcmpr

I have some. I did not know what it was until you said. Want to buy some?

7. haknuts

8. haknuts

The P96 in question did not have any NRV washer. As far as I can remember I have not seen/found any remains that indicate a washer was installed by Primus in any of my P96's. This could explain these reluctand NRVs. I did install a recommended washer once, but could not get a proper seal. Had to return to the basic.

Have any of you seen a NRV washer on a non-tampered P96? If you successfully have installed one, what type did you use?

9. snwcmpr

HDPE or lead.