Removing and installing Coleman pump cups!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Murph, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

I got a call this morning from a friend of mine (yes, I really do have friends!), going on about installing the pump piston back into the Coleman stove he has, madder then a wet hem, going on about lining things up and everything, and since I was at home, doing nothing (in his mind!), he'd come over so I could put this back together!

So he gets over here, with the tank from his Coleman suitcase stove, and the pump piston assemble in the other. He's bitching about trying to get the cup back in the pump tube with that damn square rod in the way, and who's the idiot who designed this...

Yep, we all know arsehats like that. All of us.

So, I take a small pliers and break the square rod loose from the NRV, and thread it out, put the rod into the pump piston/handle assembly, and it all goes back in the pump tube, nice as you could ask. Turn the pump handle to thread the square rod and needle back where it should be, Bob's your uncle. Done.

Takes longer to type this than to do it.

He looks at me, and says, "That's it? You could have told me that on the phone."

Told him I would have if he'd shut his damn piehole long enough to be told that, and now that I have this done, you can get out there and pick up a sixer of Guinness Stout for me - now.

So, I've a six pack of Guinness Stout for my troubles, and I won't hear from him until he get a another case of stupid - knowing him, it'll be all too soon.

Murph

2. itchy

@Murph It is a sign of the times. Some people just don't get it and are incapable of solving simple problems that should be obvious. Also, there are some people you just don't want to lend your tools to, unless you want an excuse to buy a new one.

3. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

That is funny as heck. Ha
    I used to tell troopies to shut there pie hole.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I well remember the times before and after figuring that one out.

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I just twist the pump rod until it lines up with the square valve rod. Easy peasy.

I have one acquaintance who is great at making everything someone else's problem or fault. No clean socks to put on before going to work? Clearly the universe has conspired against him, never mind that he is a grown adult.