Removing hinge pins, Turm sport

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Tall Paul, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Tall Paul

Has anyone figured out how to remove the hinge pins on the Turm Sport (new model)? I need to check on the condition of the gasket, if any, in the elbow joint. It leaks, unless it is fully tight.

2. cazna

I just looked at mine, Seems like its just a pin you can punch through with another pin, But ive never done it, So take it easy.

3. theyellowdog

I have removed them, on a steel turm, I no longer have the stove so I can't check but I am sure I needed to open up the hinges a bit, I don't think it was possible to push them straight out, or in, or something. I think it was fiddly opening the hinge in the fuel line too. Sorry I can help more, I would say you need to be a little heavy handed to do it.

4. Tall Paul

In looking the stove over carefully, I have the feeling that it has a split hinge pin, not a single pin that goes from one side to the other. The thing that tells me this is the tube that feeds from the tank to the elbow. If a pin goes through that, it would tend to leak around the pin, as the tube goes into a little thicker piece of metal that feeds into the elbow joint.

I was thinking that I would have to spread the hinge apart slightly on each side as well. Not too much, or stress fractures could occur in the hinge and I don't want to spend time brazing it back together.

A great little stove with a few design flaws.

5. theyellowdog

That jogs my memory. 2 pins. Push in towards each other and force past each other. I did open the hinges a little. You are on the right track.

6. Tall Paul

Thanks

7. theyellowdog

Actually I am not sure if I pushed together or apart. I am getting rusty.

8. Tall Paul

I managed to open up the hinges slightly and extract the two hinge pins. Not only were they rusty, but glued in place from the paint. I got them out and polished up.

I got the elbow joint apart by being careful to flex the tank outlet tubing just slightly. Not enough to bend it, but enough to unscrew the joint. I was surprised to find that there was no gasket or o ring inside, only the metal collar with the axial feed tube running through it. This means that the joint would have leaked no matter how loose or tight the rotating cap was. Before I reassemble it, I will install an o ring.

I cleaned up all the brass parts and polished them slightly. Before I reassemble it, I will be giving the case, firebox, and support brackets a good electrolyte bath. Hopefully this process will float off the decal from the tank and I will be able to reuse it, after patching a couple of rusty spots and repainting.

This fettling business can be easy or complicated, depending on how much effort we are willing to put into it, huh?

9. theyellowdog

Hi, I can't remember the internal workings but I don't think there is meant to be an oring in the join.

10. Sparky

Tall Paul, do us all a favor and provide some photos of the parts disassembled. A tutorial would be brilliant! I love my Turm sport too!

11. norf

Interesting posts,I've just lit my sport tonight for the first time,,it lit surprisingly easily, preheat much simpler than i imagined,for a gravity fed stove maybe there isn't much chance of a leak if there isn't serious wear...anyone got an idea of where to locate a replacement fuel cap?

12. Tall Paul

I'll post some pictures after the stove finished it's electrolytic bath. I have the first batch of parts running now.