Removing soot from Svea 123R

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Steviebear, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Steviebear

B34EC85D-18C4-4A63-ACF3-A899AEE77F4E.jpeg B34EC85D-18C4-4A63-ACF3-A899AEE77F4E.jpeg I just picked this up yesterday, a retired couple heard I was into stoves and gave this one to me! Since this one has less of a patina and more of what I would call battle scars, I thought I would try to clean it up and polish it so I have a display stove with some razzle dazzle. Aside from the obvious seals, nrv, etc, what is the best way to remove all of this soot?

2. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

I use a mild solution of citric acid crystals in water to break down the patina. Diluted vinegar works similarly, but the citric acid smells better. For the tank I’d cover it with wet paper towels, the windshield and small parts could be soaked whole. Rarely is more than a half hour needed. Then finish with 0000 steel wool and then rubbing compound on a cloth.

Never clean any brass parts with ammonia or anything containing ammonia. It may cause the brass to crack.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

4. Steviebear

Thanks for the tips, guys! I knew you guys would have an answer for me.

5. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

I can recommend Bar Keepers Friend together with a soft wet sponge and just a drop of sulfo for the outsides.
    Bar Keepers Friend Cleaner & Polish

Remember to rinse it well afterwards with water.