Removing vitreous enamel

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by msgermaine, Mar 25, 2018.

1. msgermaine

I am trying to restore some old stove and heater parts.

These were originally made using vitreous enamel which melted glass powder onto steel.

This process seems to have almost disappeared from use so my only real choice is to try and remove the chipped and burnt original coating and use a very high temp modern sprayed paint.

My question is has anyone had to remove original enamel before and what method did you use. The goal is to avoid messing up the metal underneath.

Shot blasting would be a bit severe and using much softer blasting media like glass bead or fine garnet will take an eternity.

Any suggestions ??

Regards, Mike

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day Mike, heat the item and drop it in a container of cold water. A lot of the enamel will crack and fall off. But you still need abrasion of some sort to finish off.

3. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

Before you do that, hold out a bit more.
    I recall a few years back, someone doing a number on restoring enamel on pressure lamp hoods. So it can be done.
    But I have to be at a computer to search for the thread. My sausage fingers are no good on the phone.

4. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

There are a couple of outfits in the US that re-enamel lantern vents. Do a search on the Coleman forum. Those places use sand or glass bead blasting to remove the old enamel. It goes much quicker than you think. If the item you are redoing is exposed to anything like the heat of a lantern vent, paint wont work. Even the so called high temp paints have not lasted well on lantern vents.

5. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

IPE Independent Porcelain Repair in the US
    Jan