Replace tank for 425 stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by DDJ, Sep 21, 2021.

1. DDJ United States

Just joined this forum.

I recently received from my father-in-law his Coleman 425 stove. This is one of those original ones with the copper cylindrical fuel tanks. I'm trying to refurbish it. Unfortunately the tank on one end has a number of pin holes from internal rust. I'm trying to see if I can repair it. In the mean time, can anyone tell me what tank from another model will fit this one? From what I can tell, they are not all exactly the same as far as the tab locations etc. But don't know for sure.

Thanks!

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS, @DDJ ,

Can you please post a photo of your stove, and your tank? Close up shots of the tank would help. Each Coleman stove model, was a bit different in how the tank tabs were setup. So, seeing your stove, including a photo of the actual "425" designation, will help us, help you, with the proper information. I've bought replacement tanks for only a few Coleman suitcase stoves, but it was well worth the cost of the new, or good condition used, tanks. HOpe see some photos, so we can better help you. Oh, and when you say, "425", is there a letter after the numbers, like "425B", or other such letters? Knowing that will help us, too. Care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. DDJ United States

Wow. Didn't expect to get such a quick response. I'll get a photo or two tomorrow. But it looks just like this one from another site. And it's 425 with no letters after it.

il_794xN.2314639854_fvn3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2021
  4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You'll need to know tabs center to center measurements and generator distance from tab center to center. The early models should fit your stove. Check the bay for tanks.
    Duane
    Sorry, posted in a PS about a grate.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

6. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Check with Old Coleman Parts or post a Wanted to Buy (WTB) thread on in the classified section of the Coleman Collector's Forum. That early model tank will be uncommon but not rare. Someone will have a spare they'll sell you.

7. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

welcome DDJ,
    what you're hearing is replace, i'll add, in other words abort your repair attempt on failing steel petrol tank.

re Majicwrench "Looks like almost any 425 tank will work."
    Roger that.
    Looks to be prefect fit, for shits 'n grins i grabbed 425 tank and put it into a 425E to confirm for you (from what's on paper, to in-hand) :thumbup:.
    Patience is helpful with this hobby, now you know any 425 tank will do, a good one may come your way cheaper than online w/S&H.
    Father-in-law's stove, once done, if you have kids they get meals cooked on grand pa's old camp stove, that's a good thing.

Not for nothing, turns out your stove n tank is exactly as you described, a 425. thank you :thumbup:. Just 425 period, the 1st 425 model and the only 425 that used "... copper cylindrical fuel tank ".
    Daryl's 425 just posted a couple days ago.
    Steel tanks that came in brown & gold credit haggis.
    thx

8. DDJ United States

OMC, yes, I hear you. I'm trying to find a replacement. Looks like Haggis has one. Thanks!