Replacement jets for Trangia multi fuel

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Horses and Mules, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Horses and Mules United States

Greetings and Salutations!

I've been a long time lurker and now I'm a first time poster.

I have a Trangia multi-fuel burner that runs very rich. Yellow flames, crazy soot, etc.

Per the instructions I'm using the .32 jet. Tried the .28 and it was even worse.

Primus was the manufacturer of the burner and I've been emailing them trying to figure out a solution to the issue and they suggested that I try .37 or even .45 jets. Which is great. BUT... Primus discontinued the Trangia set up and they don't have compatible jets for it any longer.

So my question is. Where can I find jets that will fit into the Trangia / Primus burner? Trangia cust support has not replied to multiple emails.

Can anyone direct me to a parts supplier? I love the stability of the Trangia set up and want to stay with white gas but the sooting is killing me.

Many thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Tron

Tron Subscriber

The stove is a slightly modified Primus Multifuel, just use jets for the multifuel. I would not try to run with the .45 jet, this is for canister fuel. A .35 jet should work perfectly. If you have primed the stove well, and pumped up enough pressure in the fuel bottle it should run well on full throttle. It does not simmer at all, no use in trying anything but full power. If it still burns yellow I suggest a thorough cleaning inside the burner tube and maybe change the fuel filter in the pump pick up tube.

Kind regards
    Tron

3. Tron

Tron Subscriber

4. Tron

Tron Subscriber

5. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@Horses and Mules

Welcome to CSS.

How new is your fuel? White gas should never run rich unless of course you were using the 45 jet. The multifuel is a toned down Omni-fuel with no simmer control. Even if you ran Kerosene the 28 should work as that was the standard jet for kero in the omni and previous primus multi-fuel stoves. Have you tried an isobutane canister just to see if it runs better? It sounds like the fuel is not properly vaporizing. I would remove the spindle, jet and flush it out. Let us know what happens.

As for jets I'd look at ebay or primuscamping.com. The omnilite TI kit will work as well.

Mike

6. Horses and Mules United States

Tron,
    Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how it goes!

7. Horses and Mules United States

Mike,

Thanks for the info.
    It's a brand new can. I've cleaned the entire assembly inside and out and it's still running poorly.

Yes, I've put an iso canister on it. It ran much better. I did relay that info to the primus support staff. They're the ones that suggested the .37 or .45 jets but said they didn't have compatible jet for the trangia

8. Odd

I'd dump that burner - and get a proper multifuel burner. One with simmer capabilities...

You keep the Trangia adapter from the X2 - but fit an Optimus Polaris, Optimus Nova,
    Primus Omnifuel or Primus OmniLite TI into it. Problem solved - for eternity...

JMHO and YMMV of course...

9. Horses and Mules United States

Odd,
    I've been leaning that way! Very disappointed with Trangia's lack of support despite multiple emails. Primus on the other hand has been trying to help. I'm thinking about the Primus Omnifuel. Any idea on how hard it would be to fit that into the trangia burner? I'll search the posts - Very glad I found Classic Camp Stoves you guys are great!

10. Tron

Tron Subscriber

The omnifuel is large, and noisy. The omnilite TI with the silencer is small and much less noisy, yet still powerfull.

Personally I think the Optimus Nova is the best stove to put in the Trangia, provided you only plan on using white gas or kerosene. The Optimus Polaris is also great if you need the ability to use canister gas, but just like if you want to fit a Primus Omnifuel or Omnilite you need to make another hole in your windscreen.

The Optimus stoves have a built in cleaning needle, something I have come to appreciate after using both Optimus Nova and Primus Omnilite a lot this year for camping and backpacking trips. The first Trangia multifuel burner was made by Optimus, a Nova in a Trangia burner cup, the two large holes in the lower windscreen are there for the Nova installation, the smaller hole for the fuel line and the larger for the control handle. See this thread about the original Trangia multifuel: Trangia Multifuel 780001 aka Optimus Nova

Kind regards
    Tron

11. Odd

I went for the Polaris in my Trangias - never looked back since...

Usually use cheap CP250 butane cylinders in the summer season. (From the local Asian food market vendor
    = definitely cheapest fuel there are. This paid for the three-legged adaptor in just one summer season or so.)
    Outside of the summer season I use kerosene (with ethanol pre-heating) - or liquid camping-LPG from any
    ordinary EN417 cylinder if I feel rich.

The only thing I had to do was take up the hole for the regulator handle in the lower windshield.
    And turn the nut on the Polaris upside down...

/Odd

PS
    Fitting a BD silent cap was of course a no-brainer...