Retubing a regulating burner

Discussion in 'Fettlers Master Class' started by Kalle, May 2, 2017.

1. Kalle

Dear fellow Stovies, I had this dimensionally unusual burner that I did not recognize. As it was of no use to me as such, and also in bad condition, I decided to retube it to usual dimensions. I'd like to share with you my proceedings so far. I shall keep the story short as I've edited descriptions in the pictures, I hope they speak for themselves. I'll promise to add a flame shot as soon as I reach that phase! -K

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic6.jpg

2. Afterburner

Maybe there is reason why one burner is a bit taller than other one. Maybe taller one works better in some stove. :doh:

Blanking plug is not very common to see. Did you find some source to buy them (or did you took it from 535 f.ex.)? Of course with lathe they are easy to make... Some cheap silent burner could have been useful donor for the nut and feed tubes.

3. Kalle

@Afterburner , I think the blanking plug n:o 2115 is still available in places. I ordered a few fom base-camp UK couple of years ago, I still have two of them intact. Actually I could have used the original of the old burner - but I did not have the courage to split the thing in half before managing to build a new setup. -- I just tried drilling the original nut. It is almost too easy to drill new holes as the old tubes are acting like guides! I just cut them as short as I could and drilled new holes just by holding the nut with pliers on a 40deg tilted drill-press table. One needs to feed very carefully though, as drill bit tends to choke and get stuck with brass quite easily. In this case extremely so, because the two holes collides with each other. Because of this I did not drill it through but left a short piece of original tubing in the bottom.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

5. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Well done, @Kalle!

Filling the tube with sand is a help when bending tubing, I've done that with stainless steel tubing for hot bending. Using the copper phosphorus alloy rod is a must, with no flux needed, it gives good clean joints with no cleaning needed.

Murph

6. Afterburner

@Kalle Thank's for the info! I thought that blanking plug is kind of "a hard to find" item.

7. Kalle

Hi, finally there's fire ! @presscall John, after having read your article on that Aetna burner (excellent job) I switched over to "silbraze" because of it's bit lower melting point. I had flux-coated Fontargen brand brazing wire, but I scraped the coating away and used Rothenberger brand flux in combination with it, applied with a small brush. I hope pictures speak again for themselves. Note1: The amount of silver in the picture was not enough, I had to add more during brazing. It would have been better to have whole rings of silbraze around each tube. Note2: Regardless of a snug fit, parts tend to fall in every direction upon heating! Luckily this happened before the silver had melted. I had to tie parts together with iron wire to support them. For next time I will make a steel jig to hold parts in place during brazing.-K
    pic7.jpg pic8.jpg pic9.jpg pic10.jpg pic11.jpg pic12.jpg

8. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

@Kalle

You have done a fantastic job of retubing and silbrazing the burner.
    Also you have done a fine presentation of your work.
    Well done and thank you for sharing.

Cheers,
    Norman

9. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Kalle
    Really excellent work, excellent.

@shagratork
    Trevor, I'd nominate Kalle's post for the Fettler's Masterclass please. It's an exceptional piece of work in itself, but for the photo essay too and an encouraging example to follow.

John

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice job, here I can't even get silver solder to melt to repair cracks let alone overhaul a burner.
    Duane

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Kalle

Excellent work! It's also very good to hear the advice about what to do better next time.

Cheers

Tony

12. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

13. Kalle

@presscall @shagratork - Much obliged, sirs! I still took some pictures, of the tooling I used for forming the U-tube. Based on test drilling of the original nut I recommend using it in place of a blank plug (that is likely to turn into a hard-to find item in the future).

pic13.jpg pic14.jpg pic15.jpg pic16.jpg

14. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Kalle, Great work and presentation. :clap::clap:
    Thanks

15. Montero

Wow !!!

16. Go Scout

@Kalle awesome work and presentation, well done sir!