Reuniting with a "Devine Restoration" Coleman Model 1 Stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by coleman413c, Jan 11, 2019.

1. coleman413c

I don't know if this is the right category to write this but here goes.

As the title suggests, it is reunification with a stove I restored and sold over 8 yrs ago. Much of that story is under "Devine Restoration" in the stove reference section so I won't repeat what it has to say.

However, when that story was written, things had changed. After being helped out by those members of the CCF and being told to keep the stove, in the end, I ended up sending it to the "leader" of the pack who conspired to win it and give it back to me. I feared losing that stove when I lost the house eventually and had to pack up frantically and give away or dump a lot of stuff as well before we vacated.

That stove went to Bob Meyer in Rochester, NY. He became the new owner/guardian of the Model 1. He took very good care of it and I know he display it at the Coleman Convention in Lake George several years ago. That was the last I heard of that stove.

Fast forward to now. I recently learned of Bob's passing earlier this month. He died on Dec.22, 2018 after a bout with cancer. Needless to say, I was shocked. Didn't know him personally but I did communicate with him off and on via emails. I had a large respect and admiration for the man.

A few days after learning of his passing, a gentleman by the name of Steve Scullins had contacted me directly. He had instructions from Bob himself that I was to get back that stove and needed my address.
    True to his word, Steve sent off that stove, along with another one that Bob had bought off of me(a Coleman 417B). Received them both this evening. When I opened the box and I saw that Model 1, it brought a tear to my eye. I never dreamed I would ever see it again in my lifetime.

Now, it is on display in my living room and not to be put away in a box. I also lit it up in Bob's memory. May you rest in peace, Bob. Your battle is finally over. And to Steve Scullins, who is a moderator on the True North GPA Collectors Forum, a large heartfelt Thank You for sending me the stove. A world class act on his part.

Joe Pagan

DSC03082.JPG

Coleman Model 1 Campstove 010.jpg

Coleman Model 1 Campstove 011.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Joe

That is a great story.

I didn’t know Bob, but there are people here in Australia who hold him in very high regard. May he rest in peace.

Best regards

Tony

3. Ed Winskill United States

A truly great story.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Hi Joe. A great story and a beautiful stove.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

A heap of kindness and respect that stove has been the focus for. Fine people all round and RIP Bob.

John

6. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Wow, that's a beautiful stove and a beautiful story. All involved should be proud.

7. OMC

OMC Subscriber

+1 w/fellow stovies and Joe "May you rest in peace Bob" .
    You and Bob are content, this is a noteworthy good outcome, thank you for sharing it.

Re your "I lost the house eventually and had to pack up frantically and give away or dump a lot of stuff..." not sure of your timeline but since the recession such difficulties hit home with all Americans (1 way or another). I'm sorry for what you, directly, have gone through.

My thanks too to Steve for "making it happen", the No.1 is now right where Bob wanted it, cherished and "on display" :thumbup:.
    A valuable piece of Americana with interesting history , you might jot down a note about this and collector details to keep with it (but you knew that :oops: ). thx omc