1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM 1/2 PINT PICNIC STOVE

Discussion in 'RM MFG & Engineering Co Ltd' started by kaw550red, Dec 13, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red United Kingdom RIP

This stove appears to be a combination of other makes of 1/2 pint stoves

The tank is a copy of the Primus 96 made during the 1910s The reserve lid is similar to the Primus 96 reserve lid used up until about 1935. The burner head appears to be a copy of an Optimus 96 burner head. The folding feet are similar to the feet that Primus fitted to their 96s although the early ones were at a much shallower angle than these. However as the folding feet were introduced in 1926 it suggests that it could not have been made before then. The vapourising tube is a two piece fitting so the tube can be replaced if the jet gets enlarged. In common with other British makes the threads on the centre connection, gland nut and reserve lid are UNC instead of the Whitworth threads used by the Swedish makers. Swedish burner fittings will not fit this tank but the burner fittings off this tank will fit Swedish half pint stoves. The burner plate is unique to Thermidor and RM stoves. The bottom of the legs are not the usual D section. They have two parallel sides. This shows on the photo of the packed stove. This leg arrangement was also used on Thermidor half pint stoves.

The instructions are not branded and appear with RM and Thermador stoves however it is possible that they were general half pint stove instructions produced by a printer and used by several brand names. The illustration on the instructions matches the Cobra stove exactly so may have originally been written for that stove

1260716050-RM_ass_opt.jpg 1260716065-Rm_flame_opt.jpg 1260716341-RM_Etc_1-2_pint_instructions_opt_12-48-34.jpg 1260716292-RM_pack_opt.jpg 1260716274-RM_box_opt.jpg

The tank on this stove may have been made so that it could be rebranded by the use of transfers. Later 1 pint tanks clearly show the RM logo as well as being marked BRITISH MADE

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi bryan what a really nice little stove quite a few of the old stoves had the air screw mounted directly on the tank instead of the filler cap.
    i would like a few more of the British copies of the 96 i am at present restoring a monitor i recently won on the bay which will be shown later in the week

3. kaw550red

kaw550red United Kingdom RIP

Hi Brian

Many of the lesser known makes go for peanuts as collectors seem reluctant to buy a make that they are not familiar with.

Good luck with your restoration

Regards Bryan

4. lanevitt United Kingdom

I purchased a Veritas stove for £4.61 i like buys like that.