1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM Picnic Stove

Discussion in 'RM MFG & Engineering Co Ltd' started by Tony Press, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Here is a RM 1 pint picnic stove in good condition, fettled and ready to go:

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8789.jpg

The bits:

IMG_8764.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

IMG_8765.jpg

IMG_8770.jpg
    Note: The legs are made of aluminium.

IMG_8771.jpg

The windshield is steel - After this picture was taken, I cleaned the rust and seasoned the windshield in vegetable oil in the oven for a few hours while I was cooking something else.

IMG_8768.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

The box has lost all of its artwork (as has the stove). It was polished with car wax:

IMG_8799.jpg

Up and running (this stove runs well, but, like @Gneiss said, the tank gets very hot):
    IMG_8793.jpg

It passed the 1 litre-in-less-than-6-minutes test:

IMG_8797.jpg

This stove of @kerophile is similar to mine, but with different knurling:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/rm-one-pint-picnic-stove.17485/

Cheers

Tony

2. kerophile

kerophile United States Subscriber

Hi @Tony Press, I had never paid close attention to the knurling on the various closures on these RM/ Veritas/Thermidor 1-pint stoves before, but I have just looked at the photos of several of them.

It seems the manufacturers were fairly casual in their choice of knurling pattern, mixing them beween stoves and even within a single stove ( as is the case on your stove and my one which you referenced)

These are well made stoves and I rate them highly.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

As George said, well made stoves! I have a couple as good as new ones (or rather, not seen a lot of use:roll:) and can attest of their build quality. To bad the boxes are not so good, the artwork on them seems to "evaporate" as does the decal on the stove itself. I guess they didn't use engraving of any kind to stay within a tight budget, but it is better to economise on looks then compromise on quality imho (hope this makes sense:-s, but I'm sure you get my pointO:)).

Best regards,

Wim

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

What a coincidence!
    Last week a friend of mine (non-stovie) gave me a long forgotten stove he found in his garden shed.
    It is a used, but totally complete RM Picnic Stove in tin - with spirit bottle, instructions, prickers still in packet, washers still in packet, RM logo still complete on tank.

There are some differences to yours - no artwork on tin, different knurling, brass pump knob.

5. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

@Tony Press I did see someone (not me!) selling RM decals on UK eBay earlier today.
    Regards
    John

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

I finally got this little stove to perform properly. It's NRV was very touch. No matter how may different springs I put in it, it either leaked pressure, or refused to pump consistently. So I ditched the NRV it came with and replaced it with a bog standard Primus NRV.

Satisfied that it now will rum properly next time I use it I've backed it away in its more than ample box:

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8813.jpg

Cheers

Tony