1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RM Range 320

Discussion in 'RM MFG & Engineering Co Ltd' started by John Leah, Sep 24, 2010.

1. John Leah United Kingdom

Here's a few pictures of my recently fettled Range 320.

Suggestions are that the brass pump knob dates it after the takeover by Samuel Heath & Sons in 1950 as prior to that RM used black plastic (Bakelite?) knobs. Unfortunately, the logo has long since gone so this can’t be confirmed.

Unlike other 320s in the Gallery this one does not have an entirely black frame but is partly blue which inspection revealed to be almost certainly original. As received it was too rusty to keep as was and sadly the original paint was lost in the renovation with the shade used not quite correct. However, the brass tube connecting the tank and burner was also painted blue and I preserved this (plus a sample) in the hope that it may be matched at some future date.

It also needs the correct ‘RM/Heathware’ decal.

The tank filler cap and outer burner cap are both Burmos so not original.

This is the stove as received displayed to indicate condition and original blue paint:
    1285328468-IMG_2949s_opt.jpg

Following restoration:
    1285328505-IMG_2966s_opt.jpg

1285328529-IMG_2967s_opt.jpg

1285328557-IMG_2968s_opt.jpg

1285328582-IMG_2969s_opt.jpg

1285328605-IMG_2970s_opt.jpg

Cheers,
    John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Lance United States

Please, how is the fount attached to the stove frame at the bottom?

lance

3. John Leah United Kingdom

It isn't :shock:

Well, not directly, but the elbow below the burner is bolted through the lower tray. Other than that, it's just the two screws on top of the fount.

Cheers,
    John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Very nice restoration there John the paint work is brilliant i realy do like the tank on this model the angled flange on the side panels where it is joined to the cylinder makes the tank stand out and gives it a real good quality look a pity about the dent in the tank but then its part of its history well done there

5. RonPH

John, lovely restoration. Did you have to do an electrolysis on the stove frame? Reason I asked is I had the frame on my P325 sandblasted because the paint would not come off (it may have been powder coated). Am just drying the heatproof paint for a week (just an excuse as I can not work on it at the moment) before putting in the top coat.

Good job!

Ron

6. John Leah United Kingdom

Thanks, Ron.

Yes it had a day in the bath which not only sorted the rust but also softened and removed the paint. I suspect this doesn't work with stove enamel as I'm currently restoring an old motorbike rear carrier and, while I'd removed most of the old paint by cooking it in the garden incinerator, that which remained stubbornly refused to be shifted by the electrolysis treatment so I had to scrape it off.

The black heat proof paint I use is a satin paint for woodstoves and the instructions say light the fire to cure the paint. I waited until my wife was out and put it in the gas oven for ten minutes - job done :lol:

Cheers,
    John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015