Roma?

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Joris de Vocht, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Joris de Vocht

Hello, I'm very new here. I was recently given this stove by my parents and was curious if anybody knew anything about it? Also, any suggestions on getting it going? what fuel should I be using. Any information would be much appreciated! IMG_20161223_170435.jpg IMG_20161223_170435.jpg IMG_20161223_170442.jpg IMG_20161223_170505.jpg IMG_20161223_170520.jpg IMG_20161223_170534.jpg IMG_20161223_170610.jpg IMG_20161223_170435.jpg

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS!

An alcohol stove, to be sure. Others with more knowledge will be along soon....

3. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Yes it's for sure an alcohol burner. If you can find ethanol that would be ideal fuel. Alcohol is often used in boat stoves and can be found at a chandlery. You can also find it at a hardware store here in the U.S. Make sure the stuff you buy is in the 90% range and not the 70% stuff. Methanol will work as well but it isn't quite as hot. Avoid Isopropal Alcohol or rubbing alcohol. It's nasty stuff and does not burn cleanly.

Ben

5. Caveman

Hi and welcome to CCS,
    Interesting stove, I've not seen anything like this in NZ. Did your folk find it here or bring it with them?
    I like my alky stoves, quiet and less fierce, great for making coffee on.

20160202_132406.jpg

German, Touring Turm.
    Methylated Spirits "Meths" is what we use, the purple stuff.
    Do make sure the tank doesn't leak first before lighting. Alcohol absorbs water and this rusts steel tanks when not stored empty. A small pinhole = large inferno. Your pictures (thank you) of the underside show a drain cap? I'm not sure I like that idea. A weakness?
    What part of the country are you in?
    Cheers
    B

6. Joris de Vocht

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the kind welcome and all the information, I really appreciate it. I will try it out with some alcohol or meths and see if I can get it going.

Thanks, Joris

7. Joris de Vocht

Hi Caveman,

My parents brought it with them when they came to New Zealand about 35 years ago, apparently they have never used to. They found it in the garage and tried it with some kerosene.

It does indeed have a drain cap on the bottom and I can see a wick inside. It has been leaking since they put the kerosene in so I'll have to have a good look at it to prevent that happening in future. Any ideas on how I should clean it out before putting alcohol/meths in? Also do you think it needs to be primed somehow before lighting?

I'm happy to send through more pictures if anybody is interested.

I'm in Christchurch, where abouts are you?

8. Caveman

Hi Joris,
    Tauranga in the sunny (windy) Bay of Plenty.
    There are several Stovies down your way. We should talk about a gathering?
    Wash the tank out with half a cup of meths a few times to get rid of the kero residue. It may burn a bit yellow and smoky initially. Please do make sure it does not leak before lighting, OUTSIDE in a very sheltered area.
    The filler cap seems to have a pressure relief or safety valve. This will need to be checked for correct operation. I can't see from the photo what it really is.
    Your stove should have a depression or channel around or maybe under the burner for priming. Just dribble some meths onto the burner and it will find its way into it.
    Cheers
    B