Rounding a flame spreader that was cut wrong?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by hikerduane, May 30, 2020.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Got a new, after market flame spreader, but when looking at it closing, the top flare has too much material, only a little taller than a branded one, but too much in the flare, guessing was cut poorly. Don't think I can correct it, has the look of one that was squeezed but isn't. Plus it is a very snug fit when pushed into the windshield on a 111B I want to sell.
    Duane

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Got a reply from the UK seller, they don't know where these were made, I think the plastic bag I got, had this in it, made in China. Guess nothing to do but exchange one off another stove, think I gave one away this winter.
    Duane

3. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Have photos of the wrong shaped flame spreader next to a properly shaped one?

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I worked it over a little today, the well known seller wasn't any help. I'm thinking it was more like shaped incorrectly, making it look more like metal is off to the side. So today I just sanded/ground off material by hand, just need to fire the "B" I want to sell now and see if it helped with some of the yellow in the flame. Hate to sacrifice one of my Campingo parts for something I'm selling.
    Duane

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I incorrectly told the seller that it was brass, but it is steel, in my mind I remembered gold colored filings, but would have been from the ws.
    Stove flame has less yellow after running a few times now, maybe it didn't like sitting since last use or had wrong fuel previously. Checked jet size, it is too small as a pricker that fits new 111B jets, won't penetrate the jet that is on it.
    Duane

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @hikerduane

“The 111B is very fussy about the correct jet size. The 111 will tolerate a degree of variation and still perform well and you can run a 111 without the flame ring but the 111B, in my experience, needs exactly the right jet to work well and the flame ring definitely needs to be in place”.

Johnsnz found that a jet aperture size of 0.38mm worked best for his Op.111b stoves.

From this thread:

111 vs. 111B

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you George. Yesterday after switching to a new jet that is for the "B" and 22B, the burner sporadically flared up in the wide open position and high pressure. I may fit a smaller one in it, maybe one for kero or a "M" stamped jet. My other two 111B's work fine, this one I bought to Fettle then sale for something to do.
    I'll read up on those threads here in a bit.
    Duane