Royal 7-1 Camping Kerosene - Lucky Find

Discussion in 'Dongil Metal Manufacturing Co' started by idahostoveguy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

I believe this Royal Model 7-1 Kerosene burner is unfired, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe you can make a guess. The burner and caps all look too good to have been cleaned up to me.

I scored this stove and got it for the price of a Coleman 502. I couldn't believe there was only one other bidder on the listing and I only had to open the bid and then only bid a second time.

There are many interesting things about this stove other than the fact that it looks very well made. I don't know how it runs since I haven't fired it up since I think this neat little item is unfired. It's a little different from the other 7-1s posted in the gallery so I took a chance and put it up anyway. (Click on the thumbnails to see larger pics.)

1310965929-royal71_000.jpg

I tried to get a picture of the embossed logo that is on the case's lid. It looks different and also has a mountain on the right side that takes up the right side of the lid.

1310965937-royal71_001.jpg

Here are the case contents including the original instructions in Korean. There is some English written in Korean English that has good penmanship but is difficult to understand. Otherwise, the instructions are in pretty good condition.

1310965945-royal71_002.jpg

I pulled everything out of the case and found that the contents contained everything. I was a bit worried that the seller would not have everything to completeness since the pic didn't show the inner cap of the silent burner, but for the price, I thought I would take a chance. It turned out to be a really nice gamble.

1310965952-royal71_003.jpg

I took a picture of just the burner parts so you could see them all. Very interesting burner. I like that I can switch between silent and roarer burners. The parts just sit on top of the main burner unit and perform their function. Looking at these parts tells me that they have not been fired. Does it look like to you?

1310965958-royal71_004.jpg

Inner and outer cap in excellent condition. Very shiny metal. The inner cap has a brass tube that extends downward.

1310965967-royal71_005.jpg 1310965974-royal71_006.jpg

Down below you'll see the roarer cap on top and on bottom. What a clever design! I'm sure there are some Swedish burners that this design would work with, but then why would any want to make a silent burner roar???

1310965983-royal71_007.jpg 1310965992-royal71_008.jpg

Here are the two caps installed on the main burner. Looks quite natural.

1310966011-royal71_009.jpg 1310966020-royal71_010.jpg

Here's the slotted leg design. These provide a means of keeping the leg in an exact position. You'll see later down below what position that is.

1310966029-royal71_012.jpg

Here are some tanks shots. The brass seems thicker than some of my other 1 pinters, but then the fuel filler spout is a little on the thin side.

1310966038-royal71_013.jpg 1310966047-royal71_015.jpg 1310966055-royal71_016.jpg

Here's a much used design for the reserve cap - put it on the pump handle when the stove burner is installed. So many of these have been lost over the years. Costly to replace too. This pump has a little extra knurling on the pump handle.

1310966065-royal71_017.jpg

Here are the burner and jet tools. The jet prickers look to be unused as well. They are the usual tin and appear to very clean and straight. The wrench/spanner is quite interesting. It is stamped with Edelweiss. I'm sure it wasn't fabricated by the last owner but the stamp does make it interesting. They must have figured that the Edelweiss brand was better or cheaper to purchase than make their own OR this is really a counterfeit. What makes me think it is not a counterfeit is that I've seen this exact wrench/spanner on other model 71s on other sites, plus the notch on the end of the handle fits the jet perfectly. Maybe it is a fake, but it sure is a really good fake!

1310966074-royal71_019.jpg 1310966084-royal71_020.jpg

Ok, so now we get back to the pot holder leg alignment. As you can see the legs do not point to the center of the burner. They are off by about 10-15 degrees. It's not just one, which would be an anomaly but all three. So it must be by design or the tool person soldered on the leg holders off 10 degrees by mistake. Just an observation. I don't think it will make a difference on the performance of the stove.

1310966096-royal71_022.jpg

A fun stove for sure.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Sam, it looks very nice, very complete and very new to me! =P~ Fun stove indeed :D/ . Will you ever fire it up? I'd love to see it 'at work', but can equally understand if you'd like to keep it new. Great score on a lovely stove!

Best regards,

Wim

3. SNOWGOOSE

Hi Sam,

Looks new to me. The roarer and silent burner feature seems to be almost a standard feature with these well made Korean stoves.

A very nice find and it really would be a shame not to use it!I guess that is because I'm not really a collector merely a user!

Cheers,

Rob

4. gunsoo

Congratulation Sam!!
    very nice full set.
    Royal stove is good quality korea stove of one.
    i hope you will doing experience another korea stove. :D
    thanks sharing .

Gunsoo

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Man, those Korean stoves are so cool...but I've only seen them in pictures, alas.....

6. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Sam congratulations on a awsome score i am all so sure that it is unfired, these korean stoves are superbly made and have some very usefull and practicle features on them bringing a classic stove in to the 21 century even the traveling boxes are made of a thicker gauge steel but i still prefer my 502 though

7. hikin_jim

What an excellent stove, Sam. I'm sure she's unfired. Great score! I really should try to get a Korean stove. They have some really good ones.

The reason that you might want to make a silent stove roar is wind. In a stiff wind, a roarer burner is going to bear up a lot better. With these fabulous Korean stoves, you have the option and can go silent in calm weather or roar back at the storm in foul.

HJ

8. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Super stove, Sam. Actually, I have one too but not unfired. I found it in a Rosenburg, TX antique shop for $25. All that was missing was the meths bottle. I love Korean stoves; well made, innovative and well designed and very functional.

9. nzmike

I can only add to what the others are saying, nice stove! The Koreans certainly seem on track with their stove building, could this be the leading edge of the Korean brassie wave? :-k Watch this space....

10. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

NZMike, I think the Koreans have given up on making new stoves. One of our Korean members mentioned it several months ago. Sad.

11. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

All of you have made some nice comments. Thanks!

This one is just third in my collection and all the rest that I have are in the pile of user stoves. I'm more of a stove user than a collection, but then, every once in a while, one comes along that I thought I would get to fire up and it turns out to be an unfired beast. I'll eventually fire them up. You only live twice!

It's sad to me that these types are becoming fewer and fewer. I'm glad to have caught the tail end of the era rather than be well past it. Japan is still making new ones right? One day they may stop too, but in the mean time I'm going to keep firing them up!

To respond to a couple of comments, the case is made of heavy gauge steel with a nice coat of paint. It is well constructed (sorry, my pics don't show the case very well). It's larger than your typical 1 pint box and sturdier.

I hope that this is not my last Korean stove. If this is any indication of the quality, I will welcome another one.

sam

12. mta

Hi mate, it looks very nice and complete and very new Congratulation Sam. Best regards ivan (malta) :thumbup:

13. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the nice comment. I still can't believe I was able to get it. It is a lot nicer than my pictures are showing.

all the best,
    sam