Royal Camping Stove for Kerosene?

Discussion in 'Dongil Metal Manufacturing Co' started by sortia, Jul 22, 2012.

1. sortia

Hi all,
    I recently acquired a Royal Camping Stove while Garage saleing. Unfortunately, I can't find a single reference to it online and was hoping someone here could help identify it.
    It appears to have manufactured for the Korean market as the user guide is mostly in Korean. A few parts of the manual and on the unit itself have some English script. The manual suggests it could be a model 71 or 8-8. The unit and the box it came in seem to be in Mint condition, neither appear to have ever seen use or handleing. Hopefully the attatched pics can be more helpful than my lack of Korean :)
    Thanks!
    Brian

1342913441-P1010016_opt.jpg

1342913145-P1010007_opt.jpg

1342913150-P1010008_opt.jpg

1342913156-P1010010_opt.jpg

1342913161-P1010012_opt.jpg

1342913166-P1010014_opt.jpg

|imgRemoved|

|imgRemoved|

1342913180-P1010017_opt.jpg

1342913125-P1010005_opt.jpg

1342913137-P1010006_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Big BTU

HI Brian,

Welcome! There don't seem to be alot of Korean stoves outside of Korea but when they show up they look to be of very nice quality with some different design features than other stoves we typically talk about. You have a dual burner head stove with both a silent head (the rounded caps of which I see you put the inner cap but don't have the outer cap placed over it.(many holes on the outer cap. Then a separate roarer type burner head that is more wind resistant & alot louder. :lol:

You should be able to replace the seals, replace the leather pump cup or soak it in oil overnight & pre-heat and good to go.

Let us know how it goes. The operation of all these kerosene pressure stoves is essentially the same and you can look up the whole process on youtube.

3. Chef BC

Sortia
    Here a few links that may help you in reading what is needed to ignite one of these stoves. Most stoves like this involve a preheating step and the control of the burner with either a valve or an air screw on the fuel cap. It is really very easy once you get the hang of it.
    Optimus 100
    Optimus 00
    General paraffin stove instructions ;)
    Obviously the small can with the wishbone shaped burner is filled with spirits and ignited to pre heat the burner of your stove. It also appears to have a priming cup too. You seem to have contracted stove box and may find they follow you home now. I hope it grows on you! :D
    This is not an all inclusive list but may be helpful in understanding the fechnique as it can be a tad tricky the first two or three times. Please know you are likely to hear terms unfamiliar to you. It may be difficult at first but kerosene is called paraffin in other parts of the world, methelated spirits or "spirits" in its shortened form is denatured alcohol. Both are available in hardware stores but it is best to buy the K-1 (best) grade kerosene which does not contain dye. :?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Brian, welcome to CCS. The South Koreans made some good stoves and included many features in their stove outfits.
    Check this post:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1059

It looks like the rapid pre-heater, or primer is fuelled with butane gas from a lighter re-fill can.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Brian welcome aboard CCS and what a brilliant first post,i realy like these Korean made stove,they are made to a very high standard and havae some fantastic features and assesories,and they are great performers.
    You have come to the right place on information on your stove,you will find every thing you need on here,if or when you decide to fire her up, it would be fantastic, to show some pics of it in flame.

6. sortia

Who would have guessed a camping stove would have such a following! Wow, thank you for your quick responses :lol:
    The thought of firing it up is intriguing but now I'm scared to do it. It sounds like I might have stumbled onto quite the little treasure. Since it's currently unlit would my lighting it hurt its value? And what is it's value currently? Anyone have an idea?
    Thanks again!
    Brian

7. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Brian most of us members on here, have some very fine and rare examples of stoves and most of us fire our stoves up,the choice is yours if you decide or not decide to fire it up,sorry we dont give valueations it is not the forums policy.

8. klausvader

Hi Brian welcome aboard.
    Beautiful stove! Congratulations! :thumbup:
    kerosene addiction is unstoppable ;)
    Regards
    klaus.

9. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    The piece in the first photo doesn't seem to be part of this set. The priming cup would heat the burner but, the first picture U shaped piece wouldn't fit on the tank or sit anywhere on the stove to allow a preheating.

I wonder if it has another purpose ?

Chuck

10. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber