Royal Mail Confiscating & Destroying Stoves?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Paraffin Cyclist, Apr 28, 2013.

1. SNOWGOOSE

A stove was collected from me by FEDEX on 30th April (left in my shed for the driver as I was in the hills)from tracking I see it is out for delivery in the USA today, May 2nd.Not bad.

2. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi Rob, Yep! I find that Fedex and UPS do the business :thumbup: to the USA, Taiwan, China, Japan & Australia in my experience to date :thumbup: . Also,(so far, fingers crossed [-o< ) MyHermes doing pretty good in UK as well. Much better than RM :) :) - Steve

3. SNOWGOOSE

Hi Steve,

Yes they do indeed do the business - collected from me on the 30th April and here it is in the USA on the 2nd of May:

1367576750-e4e71b3e-dfd3-42b4-91b3-1015090fc25e_zpscc2e80aa_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  4. rogerzilla

The secondhand stoves I've bought from fleaBay have always come half full of stale unleaded. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a leaking incident at some time, and RM have therefore tightened up.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I got one from Maine partly full of leaking kerosene. My postmaster wasn't very happy.
    Ken in NC

6. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Ive had a few stoves arrive full of white spirit. Its good being able to unwrap a new stove and just throw in a match.

7. R W Grafton

Not sure if this topic is still current given the date of last post, but I signed up just to share my recent experience. I'm a general eBay dealer in antiques. I received a letter from Royal mail yesterday telling me a primus stove I posted to Australia (6 weeks ago!), had been intercepted as a potentially explosive item containing inflammable fuel but criminal charges were not being brought on this occasion. When I rang them to explain I had rinsed the fuel tank with alcohol and then soapy water, and could I at least have it back, they informed me that anything that has previously contained inflammables was prohibited, (Even old zippos!) and it had long since been sent to Belfast for safe destruction. (I found this last particularly ironic).
    I have been sending Antique Hurricane lamps and the like all over the world until recently, and the thought of that lovely Primus being destroyed in some sort of controlled explosion by an Irish goon put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I actually hope some bright Irish spark lifted it and sold it on a street market somewhere!
    I was potentially £56.00 GBPounds out of pocket until my very understanding buyer agreed to share the pain. I blame US Homeland security paranoia ... it has infected every aspect of our lives ....

Two questions and an ironic observation follow...

1. With ref to other posts discussing use of couriers as a better alternative to Royal Mail, aren't they (at least technically) subject to the same IATA rules?
    2. Should one enclose a declaration with the custom form description that the fuel tank has been washed out - and what are the chances such a declaration would make a difference?

I worked in the middle east in the mid 1970s and took a few flights around the area. It was common practice for whole families on the haj pilgrimage to light up a stove and cook their meals during the flight. How times change ....

8. threedots New Zealand

:shock::shock::shock:

Now that would be something to worry about. John :lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  9. threedots New Zealand

Thanks moderator.:)

10. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

11. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

not just stoves, they hate gas nail guns as well have had 2 paslodes confiscated in u.s. which is shame cos they are cheap as chips over there

my 2nd fix is playing up at moment, fires 3 pins then nothing, i bet the maestro could sort it - hint hint

they do run on butane, so stove like in a way, how about it maestro?

i am sure your forensic skills would work wonders on finniky nailers

12. magikbus

I've never tried it myself, but there have been stories where shippers have taken some of the parts off a stove and shipped them separately so it's a "parts only" shipment. Others have had success attaching an electric cord and plug to the stove in a temporary way and calling it an electrified item. When viewed by an xray it could be interpreted as such.

What's killing my enthusiasm for out of country purchases are the exchange rates, then those shippers who only ship via private shippers, who automatically use brokerage services to run their packages through customs and then charge exorbitant prices for their "service".
    Stan

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I had a UK seller ship UPS, and I paid the added expense, so I did not lose the stove.

14. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

RM ship their airmail packages via regular commercial passenger flights. Courier companies, such as UPS, Fed Ex etc use their own dedicated freight aircraft which don't carry passengers, hence the different rules.

RM rules do not prohibit the shipping of stoves empty of fuel. Stoves and lamps are not mentioned at all under either the Restricted or the Banned rules. But they catch you under their clause "We reserve the right to refuse any other item banned by law or that in our opinion may be harmful or dangerous to our customers or employees. If you send dangerous goods and do not comply with the applicable terms and conditions and legal requirements then we may deal with the goods as we see fit including destroying or disposing of the relevant goods."

It is amusing that RM reject stoves because they use commercial flights, but airlines are happy to carry passengers stoves in hold baggage.

How RM can intimate the possibility of criminal proceedings for sending something that is not prohibited is beyond me. I never send a stove or lamp via RM, even within the UK. Hermes is more reliable and cheaper for UK internal shipping. For overseas I usually use UPS via Interparcel.

Terry

15. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I like the idea of taking the burner and caps off and poking a power cord through the holes and putting a bulb and shade on the end then sending the burner and caps separately
    Then sending a table lamp and spare parts Some assembly required.
    Now how do we do that with a 505b?

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, Gents and Ladies,

So, should I be wary of Posting stoves to the UK, now? I have a couple on tap to send along, but most surely do NOT want to do so, if there is a chance they will be confiscated and destroyed!!! I guess I could send them via UPS, or another Common Carrier, but that would increase the cost quite a bit. For my fellow Brit Brothers, what do you suggest is the best way to pass along stoves to the UK, without worry of them being destroyed? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. If this trend of confiscation and destruction continues, it may eventually spread to the rest of the World, and then we'd be back to face-to-face trades, gifts, and sales. I surely HOPE it never gets that bad, but in this crazy World, I guess anything is possible. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

17. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Mark. The problem is items outbound from the UK sent via Royal Mail. I've not heard of any problems with inbound mail. Although RM deliver postal items in the UK, they only take over responsibility after the item has arrived and cleared customs.

Best wishes,
    Terry

18. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Prohibiting or removing any/all fuel "containers" detected (so no tanks) w/o exception on passenger flights is far easier to manage than to allow empty stove tanks for example. Hate to admit but it seems reasonable to me.
    It would be nice if a passenger could arrive early to "PRE-inspect" a checked luggage, to have it cleared prior to flight (for a fee even). A Int'l. shipment of a CLEAN dry odorless Hipolito stove destined to me, was declared at counter, inspected and as a fuel container was rejected by the carrier (not nearly as bad an outcome as this topic).

I post to thank geeves for the lamp idea. I don't yet know if I "like" it BUT I have been pondering EXACTLY that. How might one send a tank with a better chance to pass by x-ray screening?
    What geeves suggests is #1 for me at moment. Prior to his suggestion I felt I might disassemble a stove and have a clean dry rag positioned THRU the tank. In hands of customs, to the EYE & NOSE this "should" be deemed a harmless clean empty tank BUT x-ray doesn't know it's empty, that and dry rag is mute, to x-ray it's just another "container", destined to be crushed? (sold! my guess)
    The +1 to Geeves suggestion / disguise? (vs a rag) is lamp is apparent to an x-ray screener. thx omc

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Terry,

Thanks for the feedback on this! I'm catching up on sending out promised items, and your goodie is slated to go very soon, me thinks!! ;) Best to you and Lin, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

20. R W Grafton

Some thoughts on recent posts following my OP. Ref: Geeves and Doc Mark in particular, and thanks to Kerophile for further interesting History links on our past happy go lucky ways.

UK internal post pricing – My prefs:- (Doc Mark)

I always use courier (often Hermes) via Parcels2go for any items over the UK Mail 2.0 Kg limit as they are invariably cheaper than Parcel force.

Ditto for items under 2.0 kg but of PO ‘medium’ parcel size (ie, over the PO ‘small’ parcel designation of size) Reason? Small parcels up to 2kg are still held at cheap ‘offer’ rate of £2.80, but ‘medium’ parcel sizes are often carried cheaper by courier. At least I always find it worth checking.

UK internal post declarations:-

UK internal stuff has no customs sticker but PO counter staff are now supposed to go through the litany asking what the package contains (which I personally find very intrusive – US Homeland security again .... blah blah).

In fact my local PO know my odd ways and given my number of parcels, never ask. I did not mention in my original post, but during my phone call with the PO Security people to try to get my confiscated primus stove back, I had quickly think on my feet to defend the PO counter staff. I was asked if the counter staff had enquired what was in the package. I pointed out that it was an overseas item and had a customs sticker and in any case, was very young girl who would not have understood what a Primus was ... Phew!

Conclusion; It would seem that sleight of verbal hand could still get such items through Royal Mail on UK internal shipments, but in any case couriers are not that much more expensive.

Overseas Shipments:-

Which brings me back to overseas shipments. I’ve gleaned from other posts that couriers have least trouble and I understand that their cargo plane shipments v’s the Royal Mail passenger plane shipments lend a more relaxed approach.

However, I am personally not prepared to commit in writing, on a customs declaration that accompanies these shipments to a blatent untruth. (sorry, Geeves, but I think disguising as lamps may be a step too far for me) Not for any moral reason, but I think that in today’s climate it could possibly come back and bite you.

This is my interpretation of the current situation and my preferred route for future shipments. Hope it helps someone.