Runswick Bay

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Simes, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Myself and SWMBO are staying at the Runswick Bay campsite until the 6th, having a look around the area. Anyone who fancies a cuppa or even something a bit stronger would be welcome.

In the bottom field, tent with the flying fish.

2. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Simes
    you and the Mrs get about a bit mate
    to far for me this time but if your down this way again give me a shout
    atb Bill

3. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Port Mulgrave fossilling is good, i'm told.

atb,

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Bill, if we get weather like we did last Sept then another jaunt to Exmoor is a real possibility, will keep in touch.

Thanks Ian for the suggestion, plans are looking quite busy for the next week, quite a bit to see and do, not least the Moors Rly, and Pickering steam rally next Thu, stove and lamp opportunity.

5. ANDY N

Pickering eh ? .... We will be going there too - but not till Saturday .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

The Pickering Steam Rally is great.
    I will also be there.

I will come through to Runswick Bay Saturday or Monday.

7. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Just a quick update as am at work and I need to install the new router from AOL that was waiting for me when we got home. Pictures to come pending the install and outstanding decorating. :whistle:

Great 10 days away under canvas (not nylon :thumbup: ), and we'll definately be back again at some point. Fossils found in Port Mulgrave, a few ammonites and the remains of a squid like thing (can't remember real name :oops: ).

Unfortunately didn't meet up with Trevor, maybe another day, and I think I left a few goodies at the Pickering Steam Fair for others who went. Came away with a Thermador in tin (have RM badged versions) which worked first time and was oven driver for the bread that evening, a few silent caps (no inners), several packs of assorted prickers in paper packs, NIB silent burner plus other toys.

Finally coming to the real reason for the post, and some suggestions possibly from Nick here, SWMBO has had an epiphany and completely floored me with the comment 'let's no go to Turkey this year, I quite fancy a bell tent'. :shock: :shock: :clap: :clap: [-o< [-o< [-o< :-# :-# :-# 8) 8) :D/ :D/

Talk about gobsmacked or what.....sorry about the smilies but there isn't one that expressed the feelings I had.

Anyway questions, if we are getting it from Belltent uk.

1. 4m or 5m and does this depend on whether you opt for the inner sleeping bit.
    2. Sewn in ground sheet or not.

early decision needed as we'll want to play in Sept like last year.

Here's looking forwad to your considered responses.

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Simes, is it the original ex-Brit Army Bell tent, or the modern Sibley you want to buy? As far as I know, the 'old' Bell's came without a ground sheet (at least not attached to the tent, some have a separate groundsheet). There is a 'luxury' version of the 4meter Sibley that comes with an integral groundsheet. Both are great tents and if you know the 'how to' you can erect these without help (but don't ask me how, as I never done it myself... :oops: O:) but a gentleman once told me 'the trick' , well it has to do with using the central pole as a measure for placing the tentpegs first, then attach the lines then lift the tent with the pole and adjust the lines)

Regards,

Wim

9. brassnipplekey

I've had the 4m sahara bell( not fitted ground sheet .. not sleeping nest ) & liked it a lot ..
    i liked it so much , I replaced it with a more suitably sized 3m bell ...... 5m dia is a very large tent .
    For 2 persons I'd go the 4m .. loose groundsheet & wait and see if you really want the inner sleeping tent .
    For a serious collection of canvas ,, see W.German Sud-West
    dribble.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Belemnite?

I've had two of their 4 metre bell tents - they're excellent and I'd recommend them highly. Both were/are the slightly earlier version (2007 IIRC) without the inner tent.

The 4 metre should be ideal for two people - you can easily get a double airbed in there and still have loads of space either side. I carpeted mine out with off-cut rugs for Newark 2009 - loads of piccies were taken but none ever appeared though. Mine both had the separate groundsheet and I'd recommend that because you can raise the sides in hot weather and it makes folding the tent easier when you're striking camp.

I did find the lack of an inner tent to be a bit cool once - but then it was -8.5oC at 4.30pm that afternoon. Heaven knows how cold it was overnight but my breath froze on the pillow and some coffee I'd left in a cup froze solid. Not a problem at any other time, though. Full story here.

I still have one of the pair...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015