Sad news from the Lantern sister site

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Colin Geer, Aug 27, 2018.

  1. Colin Geer

    Colin Geer Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2017
    Messages:
    953
    Location:
    Scotland, Highlands
  2. gideon

    Offline
    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    310
    RIP...
     
  3. shagratork

    shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    Messages:
    9,638
    Location:
    Durham, N.E. England
    Very sad and a cautionary tale for us all.
     
  4. BradB

    BradB United States Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,392
    Location:
    Central North Carolina USA
    I am hoping we can find out what happened. It would be good to know if mistakes were made or if it was that one in a million accident.
     
  5. presscall

    presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    Messages:
    10,114
    Location:
    Blackburn, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    That is indeed tragic news. 39 years of age.

    John
     
  6. Simes

    Simes Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    Messages:
    4,543
    Location:
    I'm on the way....
    Very tragic. Condolences to all family and friends.

    As mentioned on all sites, there may be lessons to be learned that would make the GPA hobby safer in the longer term.
     
  7. Marc

    Marc Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2015
    Messages:
    5,089
    Location:
    Oregon, USA
    That's terrible.

    @Colin Geer Thank you for posting that here.

    Lighting a lamp in honor doesn't seem appropriate.
     
  8. hikerduane

    hikerduane Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Messages:
    6,708
    Every 111B I've had, has needed the NRV pip replaced.
    Duane
     
  9. snwcmpr

    snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    14,946
    Location:
    North Carolina
    My condolences for the family.

    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

    Ken in NC

    http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/death-in-our-community-9829411

    Since we do not know what happened, I think jumping to conclusions does not fit here. The first post is by someone in Michigan, the event happened in Ohio. Stove, lantern, maybe, maybe not. NRV, Checkvalve, priming, stuck pricker, spilled fuel, propane torch, etc, the list of possibilities is long.
    Acknowledging the necessary fettling for any stove goes without saying.
    I have a 6 inch diameter burn on my leg/shin from a mishap with an alcohol stove. Optimus Princess. The event was a surprise. My fault.
     
  10. Colin Geer

    Colin Geer Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2017
    Messages:
    953
    Location:
    Scotland, Highlands
    I had a quick look around to see if I could find any more info but thre's nothing new so far. I think we would all like to know a little more about what went wrong so we can check our appliances and make sure they are safe and that we are following the safety precautions. And he was 39! That's crazy, he was so young!
     
  11. David

    Offline
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2004
    Messages:
    169
    Location:
    Auckland
    To extinguish my kero stove I release the pressure from the tank by unscrewing the filler cap. It would be hazardous to do that with a white gas stove. If one was a collector with many different stoves it could happen...
     
  12. Afterburner

    Offline
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2014
    Messages:
    2,095
    More than 60% of the body was severely burned says first post on that link to Colemans collectors forum. What with stoves or lanterns would cause that large wounds?
     
  13. David

    Offline
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2004
    Messages:
    169
    Location:
    Auckland
    Panic following an envelope of flame could cause something to be dropped and then liquid sprayed. It happens with petrol cans being dropped in fright, there's a large pop before the flame settles down to a smallish flame. The dropping causes great escalation
     
  14. Simes

    Simes Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    Messages:
    4,543
    Location:
    I'm on the way....
    i`m not sure when or where I leant about it, but unwashed workware/overalls are a source of major injuries, both skin problems and more seriously prone to being flammable.

    In a number of threads we`ve discussed soaking various fibres in volatile substances to aid fire starting, we forget about this when we put the same stuff on our bodies to work on stoves and lamps.
     
  15. Colin Geer

    Colin Geer Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2017
    Messages:
    953
    Location:
    Scotland, Highlands
    You raise an very important point... even though I stick with kero mostly, it's still very flammable when soaked into a cloth or clothing! I will be more vigilant in future.
     
  16. dday

    dday Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    643
    Jeff was a friend of mine and visited a couple months ago. Very sad to say the least and should remind us all to be very careful when using GPA. From what I’ve heard, it was probably a large Coleman HGP (Coleman Fuel) that was the GPA that Jeff was using. Jeff will be missed by many as he was a great guy.
     
  17. Marc

    Marc Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2015
    Messages:
    5,089
    Location:
    Oregon, USA
    Very sorry for your loss.

    Thank you for sharing your info with us.
     
  18. JP2

    JP2 Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2018
    Messages:
    720
    Location:
    Canada
    RIP
     
  19. snwcmpr

    snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    14,946
    Location:
    North Carolina
    @dday
    Thank you so much Dan for sharing. It is now personal, and we know more, not just speculation.

    So sorry for the loss of a friend.

    Ken
     
  20. flivver

    flivver United States Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1,310
    Location:
    Arizona
    Very sad. Our hobby is inherently dangerous. Years ago a friend burned his cabin down because he did not know that one can't light a Quick-lite as you would an instant light. luckily only is pride was injured. Please, if unsure research your lamp or stove before lighting. Mike...