Saved from the skip: Radius 20

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by ELAF, Oct 29, 2020.

1. ELAF United Kingdom

I saved this from the skip when my grandad died, and it's been sitting in a corner of my garage for the last 20 years. To be honest I'd forgotten all about it, but it might be fun to get it going. Do I have all the right bits for it? I know nothing about stoves, and have no idea how it works or how old it is. Should I polish it up or leave it?

I have looked on the page for this model and I can see how it all fits together. However whilst some parts match other people's stoves, they aren't all the same. The last two images on this thread I don't think are from this model of stove, and I don't think the spanner is original although it fits. So I'm also wondering if it's a bit of a frankenstein with bits borrowed from other models, and if so which models they should belong to!

If anyone can help with clearing any of this up, that would be wonderful and I would be very grateful.

DSC01224.JPG DSC01226.JPG DSC01227.JPG DSC01228.JPG DSC01229.JPG

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You are correct, borrowed parts from a Primus stove. Spanner from a?
    Duane

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Spanner from a bicycle.

4. Lennart F Sweden

It seem to be a Radius 20 tank completed with some Primus 96/97 parts of similar vintage, the cook stands may be from Primus 97/210/212 and adjusted to fit the smaller tank.
    My conclusion is that someone had a 1pint Primus 97 but wished a ½pint Primus 96 and found an incomplete Radius 20 that is very similar but usually a lot cheaper - I have to admit that this solution has been in my head for a long time.
    It should work fine anyways - just check that the brass wire mesh is in the burner.

5. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Your picture no.3 shows two lipstick burner tubes - one on its own and the other in the burner bell. Of course, the stove only requires one at a time. The tiny hole in the end is what passes for a fuel jet and can erode, which leads to poor burning characteristics, so save your spare lipstick tube for when the other one wears out!