Scored an 8R today

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8R' started by Marc, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Very portable, every bit as good as modern backpacking stoves. Boiled a kettle just fine, despite being a blustery day. First thing I did was overfill the tank and spill fuel all over my workbench. Hauled it outside, let the fuel evaporate, then fired it up. Attempted a flame shot but couldn't get one in the direct sunlight.

20180623_154118.jpg

20180623_160144.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Marc

In my view, better than many modern backpacking stoves.

I’m glad you like it.

Cheers

Tony

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

4. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

it had not occurred to me to try that Paul Revere kettle on an 8r - or should I say in an 8r - I had assumed it was too big

hot1.jpg
    it's a scorcher! an excellent stove kettle combination and only one of them made in china

5. Garth

Theyre a great little stove an I suspect not much heavier than these so called lightweights with their burner, hose ,bottle setup at least the optimus is ready to go soon as lid is opened
    They can be primed with their own fuel but stay cleaner for using methylated sprit to preheat

6. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

forgot the main pic

hot2.jpg

7. Marc

Marc Subscriber

@Tony Press I'm seeing that! Less finicky and more stout.

@kerophile Thank you. I'd wondered why the cutout in the heat shield didn't line up with the fuel cap. Now I know! It will definitely be a user, going to do some rust mitigation and decide how much restoring to do from there.

@Rickybob Love that little kettle. It's my shop kettle, and I had to blow white insulation foam bits off of mine before use. Glad to see it has cleaner brethren across the pond. Seeing your flame shot makes me think I have some fettling to do.

@Garth I can dig out the scale sometime, but I suspect you're right. Love the self contained easy fold out and use ability.

Thanks folks, appreciate the tips and kind words.

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Nooooo, not someone else with an 8r that works....:cry:

9. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

The 8R being one of my favorite stoves - combined with a BD silence cap and a pump, it just works hasselfree all year around.
    A small reliable go-to stove - every time.
    I managed to get mine going before friends with modern multi-part seperate pump fuel-hose and bottle stoves even got their stoves lid.
    (Wish I had a an 8R housing which “locks” the burner in a fork when folded in).

10. kerophile

Hi @Harder D. Soerensen, this post is for you. I read your plea and went and took some photos of my Op.8R made around 1957/8 I believe;

IMG_0171.PNG IMG_0172.PNG P1100018.jpg P1100019.jpg P1100020.jpg P1100021.jpg P1100022.jpg P1100023.jpg P1100024.jpg P1100025.jpg P1100012.jpg P1100015.jpg P1100016.jpg P1100017.jpg

Hi
    I have to admit I have never looked so closely at a burner retaining clip before...

I then retrieved the broken retainer clip from a very early Op.8 stove. The design seems identical so I took some detailed photos to show the shape and dimensions:

It should be relatively easy to replicate one of these clips, should one have a desire for such a device.

Best Regards,
    Kerpphile

11. kerophile

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  12. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Thank you very much @kerophile - that is definately food for fettling-thoughts come a rainy day!
    My 8R has a bit of history to me as it was my first stove of this type - and it was bought in US by great help from @Doc Mark.
    So I wouldn’t depart from it - but since I regurarely takes it in my backpack - I have to avoid it rattling inside the box.

13. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I understand the rattle! Listened to it the whole trip home. Thank you @kerophile, that clip will be easy enough to fab up and rivet/screw in place. Maybe TIG weld if I get enough practice on razor blades first.

The 8R is definitely going to be a user. Just too convenient.

14. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Great stove. The 8R was my first stove, bought by my wife for me back in the 80's. She found it new in box at a garage sale for $5. It still works.

15. Marc

Marc Subscriber

The 8R was brought along as backup for the Preway on today's away mission, shown here on coffee duty. While it looks precarious on the edge of the table, the ground wasn't level at all and the percolator was actually in much more danger of toppling onto the table than off. The tank temperature was monitored carefully during brewing.

I need to pull the jet and reset the cleaning needle, it's not turning off all the way.

20180812_150319.jpg

20180812_150334.jpg

16. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Do you still have the blisters from the control key? :D

17. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Used my multitool pliers once I realized what I'd done. :mrgreen:

18. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Gotta get the 'Brand' on the thumb and finger.

19. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I got a blister on my finger from the (ahem) control key on the tool in the lower right of the second photo, but nothing from the stove.

Only half the coffee in the basket had brewed too, need to remember to rotate the percolator 180 deg when on any kind of a slope at all.

20. Simes

Simes Subscriber

It's the 'secret' sign of 8r owners.