Screw down burner cap on Optimus 111T silent??

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Martin Brooke, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Martin Brooke

Martin Brooke Norway Subscriber

As a new member on Optimus stove nr 2 (only a week after nr 1!) something new came up that I've not seen anywhere on "google", including the forums..... The burner cap on my Optimus silent burner is secured with two small screws! (See photos). (The cap is marked "Optimus", though it's not easy to make out on the pics).

Anybody seen that before? Does it help date the stove??

The sticker (fuel types) with the silent burner makes me believe it's a 111T ...but with the more "classic" filler-cap valve. The pump is o-ring, not leather.

Just thought I'd hear if screws on the burner cap er anything "special"...couldn't see them on the ad, and I only paid 33 dollars (equivalent) for it to use it....so it's not major important. I've got (hopeful) bids in on a 8R and an 8 too.....again to use, not to decorate with.

Regards to all, in hope of knowledgeable feedback.

IMG_20200806_134700.jpg IMG_20200806_134456.jpg IMG_20200806_134556.jpg IMG_20200806_134645.jpg
    Martin.

2. trebor

trebor Subscriber

3. Martin Brooke

Martin Brooke Norway Subscriber

Cheers for that!
    (For being Norwegian military it's certainly not something I've noticed on any of the many similar stoves advertised here of late.)

4. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS Martin.

My 111T has two tabs on the outer cap and the 2 tiny securing screws also. I don't think mine is military and don't know how long Optimus secured the outer burner cap using this method. I always thought this was a later design but don't know for sure. Hopefully we'll get some good responses to answer this question.

The screws are too tiny for me to handle comfortably in the field so I use an ordinary Optimus cap instead.

Ray

5. Lennart F Sweden

Norwegian army 111 are a lot of different mixes of old and less old stoves and parts, most of it military orders(norwegian and swedish and later norwegian special orders as the CNA burner to replace early burners), but some of it seem to come from civilian market too, and last they filled up shortages with civilian Hiker+ stored as any Fuhrmeister8/Optimus111.

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Staffan Rönn

See comments and question above re silent burner cap with screw retainers.

Cheers

Tony

7. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi all,
    Yes the screw down cap is definitely Norwegian military issue. There were also a baynet securement version of the cap. These military stoves saw extensive use and wear, so as Lennart F suggest several parts may have been exchanged over the years and generations.

If I remember correctly, the screw down solution is earlier than the bayonet solution so my rough guess is that the burner of the stove in this thread was made in the 1980's.

8. tretrop

tretrop Subscriber

Would this be the same Noway burner?

DSC_0449.JPG DSC_0447.JPG DSC_0446.JPG DSC_0445.JPG

9. trebor

trebor Subscriber

Yes. Norwegian Army.

10. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

I believe my 111 T also has the burner screws. Will look but pretty sure it has them.