Sears 72301, aka Coleman 425

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by yonadav, Nov 14, 2010.

1. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

I've been wanting a Coleman 425 for a long time, but could not get one. They come cheap on eBay in the US, but shipping cost to Israel is prohibitive. Here in Israel, they are rare, and I found none.

Today I found this almost new Sears 72301 two-burner stove, in original carton. It cost me a bit over $50 in a flea market. I believe it is a Coleman 425 with minor differences - the lid has no latch, and the folded legs hold it closed.

It shows signs that it was lit a few times, but is still in almost new condition. The paint is clean, no dents or scratches. All I had to do was to remove the dried up filler cap gasket and install a new one, and oil the pump leather (that was still soft and pliable).

Having done that, the stove fired up nice, and boiled 1 liter of water in less than 5 minutes.

There is a date code on the tank tabs, but I don't know which way up I should read it. It could be either 669 (tabs pointing up) or 699 (tabs pointing down). Anybody got a clue?

Here it is.

Yonadav

1289770160-IMG_1084_resize.JPG 1289770218-IMG_1086_resize.JPG

Nice simmer flame:
    1289770250-IMG_1088_resize.JPG 1289770273-IMG_1087_resize.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. flivver United States

Hi Yonaday; Thermos and Preway also made stoves for Sears but you are correct, yours is a Coleman 425 style made to Sears specifications by Coleman. Nice stove. Mike...

3. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Nice one there Yonadav, you even have the box. That makes it even nicer. I have a fetish for suit case stoves. I probably shouldn't but when that is what is available that is what I get and I've never met a coleman that wouldn't light! Beautiful flame in the second picture!!!

sam

4. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

I believe Sears had long stopped selling this type of equipment in retail shops by 1999. I am guessing the 1966 date is closer to accurate. The website may be selling some Coleman stuff but I have not seen any Sears branded camping equipment in quite a while.

5. Itsawhalefish

love the sears colors

6. Matukat

I'd say Sparky is right on the money about the dates-
    Sister stove to your Sears

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015