sensible things to do with a ex mod No2 ?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by mike_p, May 7, 2020.

1. mike_p

i seem to have brought a no2 off of the bay for not a lot of money, when it turns up what are the sensible things to do with a No2 ?

i see from the forum that there may be asbestos on the heat shield so this need either replacing or sealing - exhaust paint or PVA and water seems to be the suggestions what mix of PVA and water 25% pva?

re spares availability i see the fettle box stocks seals*, and optimus jets are compatible any other sources?

what is the major difference between the petrol no2 and kerosene no 12 is it mostly the burner ? could the burner be changed with something like this off of ebay ?

PRIMUS STOVE REGULATING BURNER TAYLORS STOVE OPTIMUS STOVE KEROSENE STOVE
    PRIMUS STOVE REGULATING BURNER TAYLORS STOVE OPTIMUS STOVE KEROSENE STOVE | eBay

more questions to follow
    regards mike

2. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

The asbestos doesn't need to be messed with. In normal use you are not going to be disturbing it. It is only a danger if you are breaking it up and causing it to become airborne. It also takes a pretty large amount of exposure over a period of time to cause problems. The people who were effected were people who worked with large amounts of asbestos daily for years. Shipyard workers who were wrapping pipes in asbestos fabric 8 hours a day for years or people who worked in the insulation industry where they handled it every day. The small amount in a No.2 really doesn't present a danger unless you remove it, crumble it up and sniff the dust. The whole great asbestos eradication craze probably created more of a health hazard than leaving the asbestos in place. The smart choice would have been to identify, deal with the true problem sites and leave the rest alone.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

For ‘asbestos’ read ‘Covid-19’ and that also holds true.
    @mike_p No.2 with the roarer burner or No.2 (modified) with the silent burner?
    Grafting on a kerosene regulated burner could be done but then you have a big, heavy lump of a stove with a small fuel capacity and not the Optimus 111 the regulated burner was intended for (or Taylor marine stove).
    Charm of a No.2 is ‘as is’ and not converting a sow’s ear into a ... another sow’s ear. Just my opinion!

John

5. mike_p

not worried for myself about the asbestos* just wont take it to any scout meetings in case someone else spots it
    (re asbestos eradication my old scout hut still has the asbestos roof - advise is don't touch it its not going to bite you break it and could - costs, paperwork etc ) its the silent burner - I will see what turns up it and what state its in it was £25 all in so not too big a late night impulse buy as least it wasn't the slightly melted optimus 324 currently listed or a no 3 ! I did a bit of reading this morning in the cold light of day to learn what is coming my way and its charms there seems to be 2 main types of no 2 those that just work and the others.....
    *also have a vapalux MII with asbestos wick.
    as always I find this forum is a good source of help, advise and, knowledge
    Mike

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Oh yes, saw that

F9F47AE9-8E55-418F-9404-5E9574DA399C.jpeg

Tough challenge, and I thought the Optimus Rider I worked on had had a hard life.

7. mike_p

well it turned up its minus its grate which i new about, control handle and tools - its marked up as U/S on the lid which i couldn't or didn't see on the pictures - so for now the plan is to put it back in the box and watch for a suitable control handle and other bits - i could get some bar/rod and make the grate up, but between ordering it and it arriving it i acquired a 210 complete with tin off a fellow club member.
    Mike