Shinabro 340/680R Burner Rattle.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Has anyone else found that the burners of these S. Korean stoves rattle?
    I don't mean in operation, when they roar lustily, but just when moving them about....

Recently I had to heat and quench one of these burners which was performing poorly. When moving the burner head around I could hear a quite disrinct rattle, as if something was loose inside. But what? carbon particles are too light and any debris might be expected to flow through the tubes when I applied a powerful water hose to flush out the head.

I then thought that perhaps part of a sand-core had been left in the top-piece of the burner head during the manufacturing process. These sand- cores form the tubes which run at right-angles across the top of the burner:

1260954853-Shinabro-340-680R-1.jpg 1260954870-Shinabro-340-680R-2..jpg

A shaped "core" made of sand is included in the casting, then "rodded-out" (removed) before core-plugs are brazed in to close the two side access holes.
    I drilled out one of these core plugs to investigate:

1260954888-Shinabro-340-680R-3.jpg 1260954903-Shinabro-340-680R-4..jpg

The top tubes were clear, but I could just see the top of an obstruction in the burner "up-tube".

With a lot of patience I was able to extract the offending piece via the base of the burner:

1260954928-Shinabro-340-680R-5..jpg

It was a spiral of brass strip, obviously factory-made and part of the burner design. There is a matching one in the other "up-tube".I guess they are intended to improve the paraffin vaporisation process, but I have never seen them in any other burner design.

I have re-inserted the spiral and will re-make the core-plug seal when I get around to it.

So, there you have it. If you ever shake a Shinabro burner, and it rattles....you will know why.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

George, I take my hat off to you for a magnificent feat of burner investigative surgery! That and your early pioneering work to establish that the Shinabro's burner thread is left-handed puts me (for one) in debt to you - and that's just for this tiny part of your contribution to stove lore.

Genius!

CCS equivalent of Oscars/Golden Globes/Emmys? Well, I'd nominate you for one without any hesitation whatsoever.

I've not yet done so, but I'll be adding the 'Kerophile Shinabro Burner Rattle Test' to my arsenal of stove analytical tools, alongside the 'Kerophile Tea Test' of course.

All the best,

John

3. RonPH

So Kerophile gets a.......Golden Stove Award?

First of its kind. :clap:

Ron

4. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Kerophile,

Excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mine also rattles. I got mine two or three years ago and had half an hour spare so I thought I'd do a quick seal and washer changeout and fire it up. When I handled the burner it rattled. My immediate thought was bugger that - it's going to take more than 30 minutes to sort that out. So I packed it away and it's been in it's tin ever since. Right, need to find it again, finish the washers and fire it up now I know there's nothing wrong with the burner :D/

I trust you were able to reconstitute your burner OK?

Cheers, Graham.

5. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Well I'll be ! . . . neat idea though akin to the mesh in lipstick vapos.

None of my Shinabros rattle, yet, but I'll know why if they do.

6. nagant

Another example of why this site is unbeatable! thanks for yet another knowledge bomb George!

7. AlanSandford

Thank you for the information I wondered what the noise was so now I know no need to worry .

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

how do you reseal the copper bungs?
    I have a burner that is leaking through one of these. Tried solder that lasted about 30 seconds

9. Rick b

Very interesting Kerophile. Be sure to take pics of the new core plugs and then the finished product for us to see.

10. Bom Bom Bom Bom

For a pinhole you can braze it quite easily - see my post here for an example of where I repaired a pinhole on an old 00 burner. To repair the investigative surgery Kerophile has performed I would assume he'd be making some sort of plug from copper or brass rod and brazing it in?

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015