Shinabro 680 *

Discussion in 'Shin A Ind. Co' started by fyldefox, Jun 6, 2008.

1. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

I picked up this yesterday :

1354715436-Shin01.jpg

1354715443-Shin02.jpg

It's a Shinabro 680, not a stove I have seen before, although I have passed over this particular example a couple of times as it has obviously had a serious thump to knock the pump tube in like that . . . .hasn't it ?

Well no, I don't think it has, as the only other picture I have seen is from Park Soo Tae's collectors gallery here, and this one looks like this :

1354715450-Shin03.jpg
    (Photo courtesy of Park Soo Tae)

So the recessed pump tube seems to be the way it was built, presumably to make it more compact when in the pack.

When compared to a "normal" discus in this case a Radius 17, you will see it is a fair bit smaller :

1354715457-Shin04.jpg

1354715465-Shin05.jpg

I haven't filled it up yet but I would estimate the capacity at about 1 pint. The legs are curved, unlike those on PST's example, so I don't think it originally had a panring like his had.

The burner on mine is just a normal roarer, but it seems to have dual application :

1354715471-Shin06.jpg

I can't see a similar marking on the burners of the two 340's which I have, so I am probably wrong on this point.

If anyone has any further information about the 680 I'd be interested to hear it.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Very interesting type; sort of an "intermediate"....

3. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

& there's me passing one up because of the dent!! :oops:

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Keith, Really nice stove, well presented.

Bryan Miller has said that the Koreans developed stoves from where the Swedes left off. I agree with him.

I have only a few Korean stoves but find them well made and innovative.
    I notice on your Shinabro 680 the neat cut-out on the tubing of the leg supports and the matching "lugs" formed on the legs to locate them correctly....a neat idea, even if it added to the manufacturing costs!

Do you have the reserve cap for the stove....or will you have to procure a new one from Doug Weise?

Thanks for posting the photos.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. brassnipplekey

Guessing .. the curved pan supports would be used with a wok ??

Nice stove :)
    Nick

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I was surprised by the curved pan supports as I had only seen them before on Phoebus 625. In that case I believe that it allows the legs to rotate and the stove to be then carried in a circular or square-section storage can.

However, the Shinabro legs look as if they can only rotate if they are raised above the "Lock" position created by the slot/lug arrangement I mentioned earlier. This is also a collapsible stove, so why would anyone want to leave the legs inserted in their holders for transport? So why have curved top legs?

Interesting stove!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Thanks for the kind comments gents.

I first looked at this one about three months ago, and passed it by because of the ?dent?, but I returned after due enquiries had been made 8) . . . . .and for ?8 I thought it was worth it for the burner alone :D
    The lugs idea is indeed a good one, although they do tend to get sloppy with use. I?ll have to check the brass box for a reserve lid, if no joy I?ll no doubt be knocking on Doug?s door !
    There is only one locked position for the legs, presumably the inclusion of two slots at 90 degrees to each other so close would have weakened the brass too much at this point for very little benefit. Because the tops are curved, the difference made to the stove?s dimensions when they are out or in, is very little. I?m sure most people would remove them when carrying the stove in a pack.

8. spudz

Interesting stove indeed, and not just because of the curved and lugged pot supports.
    Note that the pump and filler cap are in different thirds of the tank, unlike the Radius (and I suspect most all Swedish, 3 legged stoves)

Keith, have you tried putting the pot supports into the legs that wrong way, i.e. short end down the leg. What, if anything is the result?

Anyone know of peculiar shaped, Korean cooking pots?

9. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Sory for not responding Spudz, I missed your reply :oops:

Quite so, even the smaller three leggers put them in the same third, so why this is different I have no idea.

If I'm reading this one right the result would be a very low pan support ! . . . . . if not please illustrate your question with a picture :? ;)

10. spudz

Your are correct, I mean a low pan support.
    My Q. then is if anyone knows of peculiar Korean cooking pots that would utilise this set up, kind of like Kerophile's stove oven with the burner rising up through the hollow centre! :shock: :shock:

Why? I've no idea, just trying to visualise some odd reason why the pot rests are curved.

time for me meds, I think :oops: :oops: :oops:

Possible :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: but wasn't there a heater attachment for some Shinabro stoves that sat on top of the burner?
    Would this explain the need for the curved pot supports

11. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Nick Kearney has suggested they were to hold a wok . . . no idea about the heater I'm afraid.

12. sefaudi

Hey Keith,

Congrats for your new stove. I believe you would light it in the very near future and share new photos.

Sorry but, I do not think Korean's made noteworthy developments on the stoves over what Swedish have made. Simply look at the shapes and designs. What's new? I think they follow main designs with adding little retouches.