Shinabro Eleventy One Frankenstove

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Twoberth, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Since no-one can have too many stoves, I decided to make another stove from bits under the bench.

I still have the Optimus 111 tank from this saga and a old Shinabro case from long ago, so the plan was to make a silent burner stove (a la Optimus 111T) to fit in the case.

These are the basic bits. Optimus 111 tank, large hose clamps, standard silent burner and riser and copper tube connector assembly.

DSC08936.JPG

The tank outlet has a male 1mm pitch 60 degree thread, so to make the connector assembly the first job was to find a fitting with the right ID and the cut a 1mm pitch thread inside. I threaded all the way through the fitting and then soldered a washer onto the end, fitted a 10mm copper pipe with a smaller washer stop soldered on (to fit inside) and effected the seal with a thick lead washer.

DSC08937.JPG DSC08938.JPG

Next problem was that the case wouldn't close if the tank had its original pump knob, so I made a flat disc style pump knob (like a Primus 96) from a spare pump tube lid. This involved more soldering and threading.

DSC08940.JPG DSC08941.JPG DSC08942.JPG DSC08944.JPG DSC08945.JPG

Next, the base was cut from scrap aluminium plate to fit flat in the bottom of the Shinabro case, and the tank was secured on the base by pop riveting the hose clamps in place.

DSC08946.JPG

Once the tank was in place, the copper tube was cut to length and silver brazed into the riser tube. Then a flat brass square was soldered to the bottom of the riser to effect a seal and support the burner, and then the silent burner was fitted.

DSC08947.JPG DSC08948.JPG

Quick tighten of fittings and hose clamps and test fire.

DSC08951.JPG DSC08952.JPG

Then I made a stainless steel folding tripod pot stand which fits into holes in the base,

DSC08958.JPG DSC08959.JPG

and made a brew!

DSC08953.JPG DSC08955.JPG

Tank doesn't get too hot, but I made a shield from left over aluminium sheet.

DSC08961.JPG

It all fits neatly into the Shinabro case

DSC08965.JPG DSC08966.JPG

A fitted heat shield is the next step. I have some stainless sheet and it can be curved and fitted to the hose clamp tag ends. I will post pictures in the Frankenstove section when it is all cleaned and painted.

An interesting and rewarding project on a rainy day. I now have x+1 stoves where x is unknown.

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

It's.....alive!

3. Big Si

A very nice thing to own and a job well done. I take my hat off to you sir!

Si

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

An excellent 'spare parts' project there.

I'm already looking forward to your next foray beneath 'the bench', and just hope you leave enough plumbing in the house to have a shower.

5. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

@Twoberth.

Congrats, on a clever use of spares.
    I wish I had enough stove bits to make another stove for my collection. A very definate HATS Off for your vision.
    BEST REGARDS. Optimust.

6. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

@Simes
    Funny you should mention plumbing and showers.

Just to show I don't spend all my time in the workshop 'playing', here is a picture of our old Salamander shower pump in the loft, which I just (last week) reconditioned after a leaky seal. New seals and washers and 4 new inlet and outlet push-fit anti vibration fittings. Thank God for built in isolation valves !!

DSC08967.JPG

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Twoberth
    Masterly - shower pump refurb too.

John

8. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

An absolute shower! (Apologies to Terry-Thomas....)

10. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

I am of the skill level where I am pleased if I manage to change a washer or jet on a stove. What you have done here is truly Super League stuff. i am always amazed by people who can turn new threads on pipework. Well done.

11. HaakonJ

HaakonJ Subscriber

Amazing! Well done :clap: