Shinabro

Discussion in 'Shin A Ind. Co' started by gear-golem, May 9, 2012.

1. gear-golem

Hi, I've had this one for quite a while now and recently seen a post of here with one that looks similar so it encouraged me to make this post. The manufacturer is Shinabro, the tag on it says 1984, it's in quite good condition, apart from the soot on it from me trying it a while ago (works rather well too). Still have the original box with it as well and it runs on kerosene. Also how common is one like this (I'm assuming it is common but I thought I'd ask)?

1336542423-2.jpg 1336542454-6.jpg 1336542492-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Welcome gear-golem. Its a nice stove and Shinabro does make good stoves. It runs on kerosene? Really? The design looks to me like it would not pressurize well on kerosene but I could be wrong as the 8R which is almost the same design only runs on gasoline or coleman fuel. Could you post some flame shots of the stove running on kerosene?

Cheers

Ron

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Welcome to CCS. You appear to have a Shinabro 170-gr, manufactured in S. Korea by the Shin A Ind. Co.

There are a couple in the Reference Gallery:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/14577

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/11111

These stoves are copies of the Swedish made Optimus 8R, and like the original are designed to burn unleaded gasoline, Coleman fuel, or panel-wipe, rather then the kerosene you tried.

Shinabro built good stoves.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. gear-golem

ronPH: yea, it does run on kerosene and the box its in specifically states to use kerosene, thats why i tried it with kerosene. i wouldn't know otherwise whats right. but yea, ill post some pics for you when i get the chance.

kerophile: thank you for the info, i finally know its model number now (: and thanks for the links. i did look before posting and couldnt find one that matched mine, sorry for repeating a post.
    and thanks for pointing out and correcting me about the fuel, as i wrote above, the box says to use kerosene i didnt know it was wrong.

5. gear-golem

oh, aswell as it saying to use kerosene, it has some instructions on how to get the fuel flowing aswell which also covers what you said ronPH

6. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Hi Golem, and welcome!

I like your nickname.

You asked how common this stove is. Well, this type of stove is very common, but not the Shinabro make. Most popular is the original Optimus 8R, next comes a Russian clone. I've also seen a US clone - Phoenix. However, this is the first time I see a Shinabro clone.

Enjoy it - it's an excellent stove.

Yonadav

7. kerophile

Hi, I reckon Precise Phoenix was an Importer/Distributor of stoves into the USA, rather than a manufacturer.

They seem to have sourced their clones of Optimus 8r, Phoebus 625 and 725, and others from S. Korea, Taiwan, and even Hungary (for an alcohol burner).

Here is a link which suggests that the Shinabro 170-gr was badged as a Precise Phoenix product in the US:

His stove is not running very well as the flame looks too fuel-rich for efficient combustion...

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2019
  8. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi gear-golem welcome to the forum you have a great stove Shinabro make a reral good quality stove that realy performs well.i agree with Ron and Kerophile it is a copy of the sweedish made Optimus 8r which is a self pressureising stove that works on white gas/coleman fuel,kerosene fueled stoves are not self pressureising and have a pump in them to force the fuel around the burner and out the jet and they have a larger surface are in the burner to vapourise the liquid fuel in to a vapour,a white gas stove that is self pressureising does not have a pump and there is a cotton wick material in the fuel pick up tube to draw fuel into the burner, and there is less surface are needed to vapourise the white gas/gasoline/coleman fuel.
    I am very surprised the instructions say to use kerosene,i would imagine it would take quite a lot of heat to preheat kerosene on this burner before it would work and then it would be a weak flame

9. itchy

It is interesting that the directions state to use kerosene. I'll check the directions with the Phoenix Precise packaging when I get home to see if that carried over.

10. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Wow! I have a Shinabro and didn't know it. I have a Precise Phoenix stove, bought 2 years ago. I always treated it as the US made 8R clone. Did not use it much as it has less power than my other 8R's. Now that this thread came up I looked carefully, and indeed it says Shinabro on the control knob.

The instructions clearly state: "For white gas only".

Yonadav

11. Chef BC

29 August 1984? a Wednesday, I recall the young lady I was with that summer. :) :) :)

12. kerophile

Hi, the Precise Phoenix instruction documents on CCS are "filed" under USA as it was a US brand.

However if you look at these instructions for a Phoebus 625 clone, which Ron posted, they are marked "Printed in Taiwan", which is where the stove was made:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/11682

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/11547

Here is a link to the post on a Precise Phoenix Campster alcohol stove, where the stove is clearly marked "Made In Hungary":

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/12491

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  13. marksheean

Hi

When I saw your I realised I have something similar in my basement. It didn't had any papers with or anything so I had to browse. Soon find out it is Russian clone of Optimus 8R.
    Since I'm new here it'll take me some time to learn all this versions :)

14. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Very nice Shinabro stove you have there.

It is yet another stove that I do not own - the list goes on and on and . . . . . :(