Shipmate - Primus - 1939

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Admin, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Other than replacing the right hand nipple, which had a cleaning needle broken off in it, nothing else has been done to the stove.
    I particularly like the cream and blue enameling.
    The left handed spindle is not original, it is marked Radius.
    The right handed spindle is marked E J Willis N.Y.C

1324744775-IMG_3573_opt.jpg

1324744614-IMG_3570_opt.jpg 1324744628-IMG_3571_opt.jpg 1324744644-IMG_3575_opt.jpg 1324744667-IMG_3579_opt.jpg 1324744685-IMG_3576_opt.jpg 1324744700-IMG_3577_opt.jpg 1324744731-IMG_3580_opt.jpg 1324744754-IMG_3582_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

That one's a stunner!
    Very nice!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

3. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi iani a beauty a superb example you have there i all so realy like the the cream coloured enammel with the blue, and with the plaited tank realy does give a extra touch of class

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Wow. Nice one.

The copper or brass tubes jutting out the back of the stove and into the burners is quite different. Never have seen that before.

Burning kero? Alcohol?

Superb.

sam

5. gunsoo

Hi iani.
    Very coool design two burner primus stove.
    i think look like kero burner :)
    thanks for sharing.

Gunsoo

6. Reillyranch

Sorry to bump an old topic... I have a two burner stainless steel stove with the name "Willis" molded onto its cast iron grates. E.J. Willis appears to be a marine supply company ( since 1888 according to their site) now specializing in ship bells.

So, my question is did another manufacturer make the stove (like Primus) and Willis just their name on the grates? And if I can get a picture posted, is there anyway to determine it's age? Thanks, and great site all. Ed

7. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Ed, all,
    EJ Willis sold Marine supplies, their "Boat Supplies" catalog included various stoves. I do expect the stove above would likely be in the catalog BUT it is manufactured by Shipmate, not Willis.
    I've seen no less than 4 different knobs on Shipmate stoves and it's not clear which were original. How Willis arranged to have their name on the knob above I'm not sure.

Ed, You have what I presume is a marine stove. Did Willis sell stove(s) bearing their name?... I don't know.
    The 2 examples discussed here: a knob and grate may be replacement parts from their catalog?
    Willis also may have sold rebadged stoves with the Willis name appearing that way.
    Re the Shipmate and burners: Iani provided an image of one of his burners, not sure what we might yet determine from that?
    I've seen Shipmate stoves with Primus, Optimus & Radius burners. What burners were original to the stove above? ....I don't know for sure.
    Credit BernieDawg I get the impression from his example that his Primus tank asm. and Primus burner asms. were original to his Shipmate stove. So there's that.
    Swedish burners were used by many manufacturers globally for "other" stove/applications.
    I've also seen Shipmate examples that it appears Optimus burners were original.
    thx omc
    tag @Reillyranch

8. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Beautiful stove. Now all you need is a period correct boat to go with it.

Ben

9. Bodyworker

Bodyworker United States Subscriber

Please help me here.
    I am new to the site and ran across this post.
    Your stove is a "Ship Mate" and looks so much like the one I have been trying to find any information on.
    Did they produce these specific to the vessel?
    I see yours has the brass tubing in the back and mine does not.
    I have yet to start in on cleaning and or servicing this one.
    fuel tank is dented only with no holes.
    I am hoping to work the dents out.

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

@Bodyworker A nice stove you have there. Does it use kerosene or alcohol?

11. Bodyworker

Bodyworker United States Subscriber

I'm assuming kerosene as it does have the pre-heating cup for alcohol.
    I did not show that in the pictures my fault.
    I have had this stove for a few years and only recently started to study it.
    So far dead end until I came upon this site which had one that looks very similar that is the "Shipmate" in this thread.
    I am very new to this site and hoping I am posting proper.

12. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Bodyworker Welcome to CCS. Your posts look good to me so you are doing well.

You have a good looking stove there.
    You asked a question: “Did they produce these stoves specific to a vessel?”

The answer is probably not for a single boat, but it seems likely that they could for a vessel-type. Having selected a stove from a manufacturer’s range, these stoves could be personalised for a Boatbuilder’s vessels by having a brand or logo included in the enamel work.

For your stove Owens “30” and a ships wheel is shown.

Since this lettering in added at the enamelling stage I would guess that you would have to place a substantial order to justify the extra work of “personalising” your vessels’ stoves.

The Owens “30” was a thirty foot cabin cruiser available in the USA from the early 1940s. If you look closely at the lay-out plan in this link you can even see your stove!

https://www.periodpaper.com/product...bin-plan-profile-diagram-boat-238200-yym5-129

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  13. kerophile

Hi @Bodyworker , Another couple of points:

1. There should be a two letter code on the tank which will allow dating of the stove. Have a look and tell us:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-dating-chart-1911-1964.11464/

2. If the tank is intact and not leaking I would advise leaving the dents in. Knocking dents out will increase the hardness of the brass and make the tank prone to later cracking and corrosion. Post working annnealing could be considered but might damage the plating.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

14. kerophile

15. kerophile

16. Don Bouch United States

Do any of you guys know where to get parts for this? I have a similar one, although I believe mine may be a little older

17. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

It's fine this is an old thread <-- i only mention it's an "old thread" as per a standing request to do so.

@Don Bouch , might i suggest **start a thread in stove forum (or fettling forum) with an image of your stove. It is almost certain the parts you need will be Swedish stove compatible, most of the parts should be fairly easy to source once identified. If you please, go that route, you will provide many answers with a pic. For one we will see if your stove is a "Shipmate" similar to the above or if is yours a stove similar to the Shipmates above? **give it a go, you can expect fairly easy, forgiving friendly process. Posting pictures is most effective way to get the answers you need (then the parts you need). good luck.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  18. Don Bouch United States

Thanks man. I found the thread on a google search, but I did start a thread on it. Pics below B070FD4A-29FC-493F-A038-1B6DEB2E565D.jpeg 5A5FA261-075B-40A9-8D05-1B53284D4F2F.jpeg 642AA5B3-48A0-4A22-940A-4676FBB8743F.jpeg 3AB2FA8C-85DF-4092-A78D-8617485D9591.jpeg 1D435C58-784D-4376-8887-6FEA78C58936.jpeg 23720E57-930F-4AA8-82BF-14984F135E6B.jpeg 052E5B3C-884D-4505-9204-03F61924C185.jpeg